Match Report: Walsall 3 AFC Wimbledon 1 Match Report: Walsall 3 AFC Wimbledon 1
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 3 AFC Wimbledon 1

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with AFC Wimbledon.
Walsall returned to action on Saturday afternoon as they played host to AFC Wimbledon at Poundland Bescot Stadium, with the Reds looking to build upon their midweek win over Northampton Town.

Danny Johnson's ninth goal of the season saw the Saddlers earn their first victory in thirteen all-competition games, a result which brought great relief to players and fans alike.

Walsall began the game brightly, and just five minutes after the contest began, the Saddlers had taken the lead. Isaac Hutchinson securing his first goal of the season, as he met a corner kick at the back post and turned the ball home.

Wimbledon looked to respond quickly to falling a goal behind, but Harry Pell was unable to find the target after collecting the ball from Ayoub Assal, in the seventh minute.

The game settled after that, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball, without creating much to trouble their opposition defences.

Wimbledon were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position in the sixteenth minute, but Isaac Ogundere's effort on goal sailed wide of the upright.

The visiting side continued to press, winning a corner in the nineteenth minute, as Donervon Daniels turned the ball out of play. Nothing would come of the flag-kick, but they won another just two minutes later as the ball was turned behind by Brandon Comley.

The Dons levelled the scores as Ryley Towler turned the ball home, after Walsall failed to clear the twenty-first minute flag-kick.

With twenty-five minutes on the clock, Taylor Allen became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Ogundere.

Wimbledon were presented with a chance to double their tally in the twenty-sixth minute, as they were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position, but Lee Brown was unable to turn the ball home from a tight angle.

In the twenty-eighth minute, Donervon Daniels joined Allen in the referee's notebook, as he was booked for a foul on Towler.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with both teams seeing plenty of the ball, whilst struggling to create much in the final third.

Wimbledon were presented with another chance to add to their afternoons tally, in the thirty-ninth minute, as Jack Currie played in Assal, but the strikers effort from just outside the area was parried clear by Walsall's shot-stopper, Owen Evans, with the resulting corner coming to nothing as Harry Pell's close range effort was saved by the 'keeper.

The Saddlers were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position in the forty-fourth minute, but Hayden White was unable to guide his headed effort home, and after two additional minutes were played, the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores tied.


The teams returned returned unchanged following the break, and Wimbledon went close seconds after the restart, as Ethan Chislett picked up the ball and fired goal-wards, with his effort, fortunately, being blocked.

Five minutes into the second-half, Walsall restored their earlier advantage, as Douglas James-Taylor played the ball through to Danny Johnson, whose fired home his tenth goal of the season.

The game settled as it continued, with very little action of note, as both teams enjoyed periods of possession, without creating much to test their opposition defences.

Wimbledon won a corner in the sixty-ninth minute, which was played into the area for Pell, but the midfielders headed effort sailed wide of the upright.

There was a brief halt to proceedings one minute later, whilst Daniels and White received treatment following a clash of heads. Fortunately for the Saddlers, both were eventually deemed fit to continue, and play resumed.

With seventy-five minutes on the clock, Wimbledon opted to make a double substitution, with Isaac Ogundere and Jack Currie making way for Courtney Senior and Kyle Hudlin.

Two minutes later, Walsall chose to make their first change of the afternoon, as Douglas James-Taylor was replaced by Andy Williams.

Shortly after the change was completed, Paul Kalambayi became the third player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Johnson.

The Saddlers made their second change of the afternoon in the seventy-ninth minute, as Donervon Daniels was replaced by Peter Clarke for the final ten or so minutes.

The hosts went close to extended their advantage ten minutes from time, but Liam Bennett was unable to beat Dons 'keeper, Nik Tzanev, who was able to make a comfortable save.

Seven minutes from time, the visiting side opted to make a third change to their line-up, with Ethan Chislett making way for Alex Woodyard.

Three minutes later, the Saddlers also chose to make their third change of the afternoon, as Danny Johnson was replaced by Tom Knowles.

Ryley Towler saw his name taken by the referee in the eighty-ninth minute, as he was cautioned following a hand ball offence.

Six minutes were added to end the match, and three minutes into those Hayden White was shown a yellow card for time wasting. Moments before Walsall secured their third goal of the afternoon and put the game to bed.

Knowles meeting a cross from Hutchinson, and firing home from close range. That would be the final action of note, as the game was brought to it's conclusion with Walsall winning by three-goals-to-one.

KNOWLES (90+3')
TOWLER (21')

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post