Match Report: Walsall 0 Morecambe 2 Match Report: Walsall 0 Morecambe 2
Match Report: Walsall 0 Morecambe 2

Match Report: Walsall 0 Morecambe 2

Here is out Match Report from Tuesday evening's Sky Bet League Two clash between Walsall and Morecambe.
The Saddlers arrived at the match looking to produce an immediate response to Saturday afternoon's disappointing defeat to Carlisle United as Mat Sadler's second goal of the season wasn't enough to take even a point for Darrell Clarke's side.

Nathan Sheron got the action underway, but aside from a first minute Walsall free-kick, there was little early action, with both sides taking time to settle into the game. It wasn't until the eighth minute that we really saw any action of note, with the Saddlers winning the first corner of the match, which Danny Guthrie swung low into the box for Mat Sadler, who was waiting at the back post, but the Walsall captain sent his strike narrowly wide.

Morecambe soon had the ball up at the other end, where a right-footed shot from Ryan Cooney sailed out of play, without troubling Liam Roberts in the Walsall goal.

The Saddlers worked the ball back up the pitch, winning a second corner in the tenth minute, but nothing would come from the flag-kick, and the end-to-end action continued, with Aaron Wildig seeing an eleventh minute effort blocked.

Both teams enjoyed time on the ball as the game continued, with much of the action centred in the midfield area.

Twenty minutes into the encounter, Morecambe saw their best chance to open the scoring missed, as Roberts caught a tasty looking Carlos Mendes-Gomes cross ahead of those waiting to pounce.

Walsall soon had the ball back in the Morecambe area, with Guthrie playing the ball in from a free-kick, but none of his teammates were able to get a touch on it as it eventually made it's way through to Shrimps shot-stopper, Christoffer Mafoumbi.

In the twenty-second minute, the Saddlers were awarded a penalty, as Wesley McDonald was felled in the area. The fouled man insisted on taking the spot-kick, but he failed to capitalise on the opportunity, allowing Mafoumbi to make the save, with a poor effort on goal.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with both sides spending time on the ball, without creating much going forwards. Morcambe did win a corner in the thirty-second minute, as Guthrie turned a cross out of play, but the Saddlers defences stood firm and nothing came from it.

The visiting side continued to press, with Adam Phillips firing wide from outside the box, in the thirty-fifth minute, before Cooney saw an effort saved moments later.

The Saddlers responded with a chance of their own seconds later, but Josh Gordon's effort from the edge of the box sailed narrowly over the crossbar.

Walsall went on to win a corner, moments later, as Sam Lavelle turned the ball behind. Guthrie played a well-weighted cross in for Gordon, but Mafoumbi was well placed to hold the strikers effort.

Back at the other end, Phillips again went close as he connected with a Cooney cross, but the tight angle proved too acute and the ball sailed over the bar.

As we headed into two additional minutes, both Josh Gordon and Jordan Slew found themselves being entered into the referee's notebook, as they found themselves engaged in a mini scuffle after the former fouled the latter.

That would be the last action of the first-half, and the sides headed off for their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.

0 - 0

Walsall opted to make a change as the teams returned for the second-half, with Josh Gordon being replaced by Jack Nolan, before Morecambe got the action back underway.

The half started slowly, with both sides taking time to settle back into the game, but five minutes in, there was a pause in proceedings, allowing Ryan Cooney to receive treatment for an injury to his ankle. It soon became apparent that he would not be able to continue, and Christian Mbulu took his place.

With fifty-five minutes on the clock, the Saddlers opted to use their final two substitutions, with Elijah Adebayo and Danny Guthrie making way for Rory Holden and Stuart Sinclair.

Morcambe saw much of the ball as the game continued, though they were unable to cause any problems for the Walsall defences.

As we reached the hour mark, the Saddlers were able to apply a little pressure to the visiting defences, as recent introduction, Mbulu turned the ball behind for a corner, before Wildig gifted them another, but nothing would come from either.

With sixty-four minutes on the clock, the Shrimps opted to make their second change of the evening, with Jordan Slew making way for A-Jay Leitch-Smith.

In the sixty-eighth minute, Morcambe took the lead, as Steven Old headed home a well placed Jordan Cranston cross from a corner.

The Saddlers looked to respond quickly, winning a corner in the seventy-third minute as they forced Wildig to turn the ball behind, but they were unable to make use of the flag-kick. They continued to see plenty of the ball as the action continued though, but were unable to really trouble the Shrimps defences.

With seventy-seven minutes on the clock, Carlos Mendes-Gomes became the third player to see yellow, as he picked up a booking for time-wasting.

Ten minutes from time, the Saddlers ought to have drawn level, but after some superb work from Cameron Pring, Caolan Lavery saw his effort deflected over the crossbar, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

Walsall continued to press, with Cameron Norman looking to set Lavery up, moments later, but the strikers headed effort sailed wide of the upright.

With eighty-two minutes played, Morecambe opted to make their third and final change of the evening, with Adam Phillips departing in favour of Tom Brewitt.

Norman and Lavery combined again in the eighty-third minute, as the hosts continued to look for a late equaliser, but the latter's headed effort this time sailed narrowly over the crossbar.

The Saddlers remained in control throughout the final ten minutes of the match, but struggled to test their opposition.

Eighty-nine minutes in, Christian Mbulu joined the ranks in the referee's notebook, picking up a yellow card for a foul.

Six minutes were added to end the match, during which time Dan Scarr went close to levelling the scores, but hit the post with his effort, which then landed in the waiting arms of Mafoumbi.

Morecambe ensured that Walsall would not be taking anything from the game moments later, with a quick break which culminated in Mendes-Gomes curling a left-footed effort into the corner of Roberts' goal.

That would be the last action of a disappointing evening for the Saddlers, who failed to take their chances, or stop their opposition taking theirs.

0 - 2

Old (68')
Mendes-Gomes (90+6')
ATT: 3,554 (126)
REF: Ross Joyce
Don't forget you can keep up to date with the latest Walsall FC news and views across our social media channels, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Along with the socials, you can also access our updates on Google News and Reddit.
Previous Post Next Post