Match Report: Walsall 1 Alfreton Town 0 Match Report: Walsall 1 Alfreton Town 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 1 Alfreton Town 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' FA Cup - Second Round replay with Alfreton Town.
Walsall were back in action on Tuesday evening as they welcomed National League North side Alfreton Town to WS1 for their FA Cup - Second Round replay.

After playing out a goalless draw in front of the BBC cameras last week, the two sides were hoping to secure the win and book their place alongside Southampton in the Third Round.

Alfreton got the match underway, but just two minutes into the contest there was a pause in play as Ryan Taylor and Donervon Daniels collided, leaving the Walsall captain requiring attention from the medical teams. Fortunately, it was soon determined he would be able to continue and play resumed.

With just six minutes on the clock, Walsall took the lead, as a Daniels cross was deflected into the path of Jamille Matt, who slotted home from close range.

Walsall continued to press, winning the first corner of the match in the ninth minute, as Dwayne Wiley turned the ball out pf play, but nothing would come of the flag-kick as the visiting defences cleared the danger, shortly before Ryan Stirk crossed the ball into the area, almost catching Alfreton 'keeper, George Willis off-guard, but the ball ultimately cleared the crossbar.

There was another halt to proceedings in the fifteenth minute, allowing Lewis Salmon to receive treatment from the medical staff, but he too was soon back on his feet and able to continue.

Shaun Brisley became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned in the eighteenth minute following a foul on Douglas James-Taylor.

Alfreton saw much of the ball as the game continued, but Walsall were far better at creating chances, with Brandon Comley forcing a good save from Willis in the twenty-first minute, as he fired a powerful effort goal-wards from thirty-five yards out, before Tom Knowles forced another fine save from the Town 'keeper, with an effort from twenty yards out, three minutes later.

The visiting side looked to restore parity in the twenty-sixth minute, as Nathan Newall crossed the ball into the area for Taylor, who rose well to head the ball goal-wards, but Walsall shot-stopper, Jackson Smith was well positioned to make the save.

Attempt saved. Harry Perritt (Alfreton Town) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the top centre of the goal.

Brandon Comley became the second player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Harry Perritt, in the twenty-ninth minute.

Just one minute later, Nathan Newall joined those in the referee's notebook, as he was shown the yellow card following a foul on Knowles.

Alfreton Town manager, Billy Heath, was also on the receiving end of the referee's attentions, as he too was shown the yellow card in the thirty-fifth minute, for arguing with the officials.

The referee continued to add to his list of names just one minute later, as Tom Knowles was cautioned for time wasting, as the number ten looked to slow the taking of a throw.

The visiting side won a corner in the thirty-seventh minute, as Daniels turned the ball out of play, but nothing would come of it as Stirk cleared the danger, with the second flag-kick being wasted by Newall.

Walsall went close at the other end in the fortieth minute, as David Okagbue crossed the ball to the back post for James-Taylor, but the strikers headed effort was well saved by Willis.

There was another pause in proceedings in the forty-third minute, whilst Josh Clackstone received treatment for an injury, but he was soon up and able to continue.

Four additional minutes were added to end the first-half, during which, Jamille Matt saw his name taken by the referee, with the striker receiving a caution for time wasting after the striker kicked the ball away.

Town won two corners during added time, as first Liam Gordon, then Oisin McEntee turned the ball out of play, but the Saddlers defences stood firm to ensure neither would result in a goal, and with little further action of note before the break, the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments, with Walsall leading by one-goal-to-nil.


The teams returned unchanged following the break, and Walsall got the action back underway. The Saddlers began the second-half brightly, winning a corner just one minute in, as Clackstone turned the ball behind, but the Alfreton defences were able to clear the danger.

Alfreton opted to make the first change of the evening in the fiftieth minute, with Shaun Brisley making way for Kennedy Digie.

Ryan Stirk became the fourth Walsall man to see his name taken by the referee, as he was cautioned for dissent in the fifty-first minute.

Ten minutes into the half, Walsall could have doubled their advantage, but James-Taylor's strike from a tight angle collided with the woodwork.

Things settled a little as the game continued, with Alfreton enjoying good spells on the ball, without creating much to trouble the Walsall defences.

With sixty-five minutes on the clock, Walsall opted to make their first change of the evening, with Douglas James-Taylor making way for Freddie Draper.

Draper almost doubled his sides lead five minutes after his introduction into the game, but his strike from the centre of the area was saved by Willis.

Walsall went close again just one minute later, as Gordon fired an effort goal-wards, but the shot struck the post, keeping Alfreton in the game.

Fifteen minutes from time, Josh Clackstone joined those already playing on a caution, as he was booked following a foul on Draper.

Alfreton almost levelled the scores in the seventy-seventh minute, as Jordan Thewlis curled an effort goal-wards, but his shot sailed narrowly over the crossbar, leaving the scores unaltered.

The visitors chose to make a second change to their line-up in the seventy-eighth minute, with Lewis Salmon making way for Jake Day.

Day looked to make an immediate impact, but his effort from outside the area just one minute after coming on, was well blocked by Okagbue, and the resulting corner was turned wide by Adam Lund.

A third change for Alfreton followed, as Jordan Thewlis was replaced by Billy Fewster in the eighty-third minute.

Walsall opted to make their second change of the evening as the board was raised to indicate that six additional minutes would be played, with Ryan Stirk making way for Isaac Hutchinson.

David Okagbue became the fifth Walsall player to see yellow, as he was cautioned two minutes into those added, for time-wasting.

In the sixth of the added minutes, George Willis also joined those listed in the referee's notebook, as he was cautioned for dissent.

That would be the final action of note, and the match was brought to it's conclusion, with Walsall winning by one-goal-to-nil, to advance into the third round, where Southampton await them.

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post