Match Report: Walsall 0 Carlisle United 0 Match Report: Walsall 0 Carlisle United 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 0 Carlisle United 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Carlisle United.
Winning just twice in eighteen league games since the beginning of the year, Michael Flynn's side went into the match in search of three much-needed points as they look to prove that they have something left in the tank.

Walsall began the game brightly, with Jamille Matt heading the ball on for Conor Wilkinson, who worked himself into space inside the opening minute, however, nothing would come of the opportunity as the strikers effort sailed high and wide of the target.

Carlisle won a free-kick in a dangerous position just one minute later, as Jack Armer was fouled by Tom Knowles. Owen Moxon played the ball in from the set-piece, but Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans was on hand to make the save.

Walsall had soon worked the ball back to the other end, with Knowles crossing the ball in low in the fourth minute, but United 'keeper, Tomáš Holý was alert to the danger and came to gather.

The end-to-end action continued, with Carlisle winning the first corner of the match in the sixth minute, as a cross from Jack Ellis was turned behind by Liam Gordon. The Saddlers defended the flag-kick well, and ensured their visitors would not get a shot away.

The visitors continued to enjoy a bright spell, with Alfie McCalmont playing in Kristian Dennis in the ninth minute, but strikers effort on goal was well blocked by the Walsall defences.

Carlisle continued to test the Walsall defences as the action continued, with Armer firing an effort goal-wards in the thirteenth minute. Evans remained alert to the danger though and made the save.

There was a brief halt to proceedings in the nineteenth minute, allowing Jack Ellis to receive treatment. It was soon determined that the midfielder would be unable to continue, and Jordan Gibson was brought on in his place.

The game settled a little as it continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball, without creating anything to test their opposition defences, although, as we reached the half hour mark, a long throw-in from Knowles caused Holy some issues, with the 'keeper punching the ball clear twice, before claiming at the third time of asking.

Walsall went on to win a corner in the thirty-fifth minute, as a powerful effort from Knowles forced Holy to get down low to make the save. The resulting flag-kick was played short but the danger was cleared by Carlisle captain, Paul Huntington.

With thirty-eight minutes on the clock, Jack Armer became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Knowles.

Just one minute later, Armer was joined in the book, by Conor Wilkinson, who was cautioned after preventing Carlisle from taking a free-kick.

Omari Patrick became the third player to be shown the yellow card, as he was penalised, in the forty-third minute, for protesting after a hand-ball decision went against him.

Carlisle felt they should have been awarded a penalty in the forty-fifth minute, as Armer went down inside the area, but the referee was unmoved by their appeals and waved play on.

Three additional minutes were added to end the first-half, during which time the visitors won a corner, which Evans got a fist to to clear. There was little further action of note though, and the teams headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.


Both teams returned unchanged after the break, and the action got back underway. Walsall began the second-half brightly, winning a corner just two minutes in, as a looping header from Hayden White was deflected behind, though nothing would come of the flag-kick.

The game settled as it continued, with both sides seeing plenty of the ball, without creating anything that would trouble their opposition defences.

The Saddlers won a free-kick in a dangerous position in the fifty-seventh minute, as Jon Mellish fouled Liam Kinsella. The ball into the area was good, finding the head of Matt, but the strikers headed effort caused no problems for the United shot-stopper, as it sailed high over the crossbar.

Carlisle were awarded a free-kick at the other end, about twenty-five yards from goal, moments later, but the initial ball in from Gibson hit the wall, and the rebound was eventually worked to Ben Barclay, who sliced his effort wide.

Walsall were reduced to ten men in the sixty-first minute, as Hayden White was shown the red card for a high challenge on Armer.

Carlisle won a corner in the sixty-fourth minute, which was swung in by Gibson, for Moxon, who fired an effort in on goal from outside the area, but the Walsall defences stood firm and the shot was blocked.

The hosts responded to the sending off by making three changes to their line-up, in the sixty-fifth minute, with Isaac Hutchinson, Conor Wilkinson and Jamille Matt making way for Joss Labadie, Andy Williams and Joe Riley.

Another United corner followed in the sixty-sixth minute, as Oisin McEntee turned the ball behind, but nothing would come of the opportunity, as Moxon's ball in was headed wide by Dennis.

Two further Carlisle corners followed in the sixty-eighth minute, as Comley turned behind first a McCalmont cross and then a Gibson cross, but the visitors could make no use of either set-piece and the hosts eventually cleared the danger.

Carlisle opted to make two changes to their team in the seventy-second minute, as Callum Guy and Omari Patrick were replaced by Ryan Edmondson and Jamie Devitt.

Walsall felt they should have been awarded a penalty moments after the changes were completed, as Kinsella was felled inside the area by Moxon, but the referee was unconvinced and play continued.

Fifteen minutes from time, United won another corner kick, as McEntee turned the ball behind. Evans was on hand to make the save, but the game was paused afterwards, as the 'keeper required treatment. Fortunately, he was soon back on his feet and able to continued.

The game settled a little as it continued, though Carlisle continued to press, though they were unable to create anything that would really test the Walsall defences.

Walsall were eventually able to alleviate the pressure, winning a corner in the eighty-third minute, as a Knowles cross intended for Williams was deflected behind by Huntington. Nothing would come of the flag-kick though, as McCalmont cleared the danger.

The hosts felt they again could have been awarded a penalty, five minutes from time, as Kinsella went down under pressure from Armer inside the area, but the officials were unmoved and play was waved on.

Six additional minutes were added to end the game, during which time, the visitors won a corner as a Devitt header was deflected behind, though nothing would come of the opportunity as Moxon headed the set-piece into the waiting arms of Evans.

Carlisle continued to seek a late winner, with McCalmont seeing an effort saved by Evans in the ninety-second minute, before Moxon saw a shot sail wide moments later.

Walsall were briefly able to work the ball up to the other end, where they won a corner, as Armer turned the ball behind, but they were unable to make the opportunity count.

There was little further action of note, and the match was eventually brought to it's conclusion, with the sides each taking one point from the contest.

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post