Match Report: Stockport County 1 Walsall 1 Match Report: Stockport County 1 Walsall 1

Match Report: Stockport County 1 Walsall 1

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Stockport County.
Walsall went into the game in search of a much-needed return to winning ways. After failing to win any of their last eight league games, Michael Flynn's side have begun to look over their shoulders, with the threat of a slide further towards the drop-zone being very real.

Stockport County began the game brightly, winning the first corner of the match just two minutes into the contest, as Donervon Daniels turned a Mark Kitching cross out of play. Callum Camps swung the flag-kick into the box, but the Walsall defences were alert to the danger and scrambled clear.

The game settled a little following that, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball, without creating much to test their opposition defences.

Walsall were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position ten minutes in, which Tom Knowles looked to deliver into the box, but County 'keeper, Vítězslav Jaroš was on hand to punch clear for the hosts, who were quick to work the ball back up to the other end, where they won a corner, which ultimately came to nothing.

Eleven minutes in, Stockport felt they should have been awarded a penalty, as Ryan Johnson went down inside the area under pressure from Jacob Maddox, but the referee was unmoved by their appeals and waved play on.

Stockport continued to look the brighter of the two sides, and went on to win another corner in the fourteenth minute, which was swung into the area by Oliver Crankshaw for Paddy Madden, whose headed effort sailed over the crossbar.

The hosts continued to press, with Kitching playing in Camps in the sixteenth minute, but his effort on goal was easily saved by Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans.

Stockport almost opened the scoring in the twenty-first minute, as Crankshaw floated another corner into the area, with Johnson meeting it in the centre of the box and heading goal-wards, but the effort had too much height on it and the ball sailed harmlessly over the crossbar.

With twenty-seven minutes on the clock, County found the breakthrough, as Crankshaw crossed the ball in towards the back post for Madden, who headed past Evans to put his side ahead.

As we reached the half hour mark, Liam Kinsella became the first player to be shown the yellow card, as he was cautioned for a foul on Camps.

The Saddlers responded to falling a goal behind, with Danny Johnson seeing an effort from close range blocked in the thirty-fourth minute, before a Brandon Comley shot from outside the area was blocked moments later.

The hosts had soon worked the ball back to the other end, where Connor Lemonheigh-Evans looked to play in Kyle Wootton, whose shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Evans.

The hosts went close to doubling their advantage five minutes before the break, as a corner kick was swung into the area by Kitching, but Fraser Horsfall's headed effort from close range sailed narrowly wide of the upright.

Stockport went close again in the forty-second minute, as Crankshaw played the ball onto the head of Wootton, but his effort sailed wide of the target.

Two additional minutes were added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments, with Stockport leading by one-goal-to-nil.


Walsall opted to make three changes ahead of the restart, with Liam Bennett, Peter Clarke and Liam Gordon all sitting out the second-half as Taylor Allen, Douglas James-Taylor and Hayden White took their places.

The Saddlers began the half brightly, with Tom Knowles chesting the ball down before firing an effort inches wide of the upright just three minutes in.

Ten minutes into the second-half, Stockport were forced to make their first change of the afternoon, as Ollie Crankshaw made way for Myles Hippolyte.

The hosts went close to doubling their advantage in the fifty-ninth minute, as a cross from Camps fell kindly for Madden, whose effort on goal from the centre of the area, was blocked by a well placed placed defender.

With sixty-two minutes on the clock, Walsall opted to make a fourth change to their line-up, with Jacob Maddox making way for Danny Cashman.

The Saddlers went close, moments after the change was completed, as James-Taylor played in Knowles, but Jaroš was on hand to ensure the hosts would maintain their lead.

The hosts went close themselves in the sixty-eighth minute, as Hippolyte crossed the ball in for Johnson, whose effort on goal was blocked by White, before Madden hooked the rebound over the crossbar.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with neither side creating much to trouble their opposition defences.

With seventy-two minutes on the clock, Walsall opted to make their fifth and final change of the game, with Tom Knowles making way for Andy Williams.

In the seventy-ninth minute, Danny Cashman became only the second player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for arguing.

Ten minutes from time Hippolyte went close to doubling his sides advantage, as he connected with a headed pass from Horsfall, but his effort from just inside the box was saved by Evans.

The hosts continued to press, with Madden playing in Will Collar moments later, but the latter's effort on goal sailed over the crossbar.

Eighty-eight minutes in, Walsall won a corner, which was swung in towards the near post by Cashman, for Williams who headed home to restore parity.

Stockport opted to make their second change of the afternoon in the eighty-ninth minute, as Connor Lemonheigh-Evans made way for Connor Jennings.

Three additional minutes were added to end the contest, but there was little further action of note, and the match was brought to it's conclusion with the scores tied. A good point on the road for the Saddlers.

ATTENDANCE 8,805 (1,252)
Don't forget you can keep up to date with the latest Walsall FC news and views across social media, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
Previous Post Next Post