Match Report: Leyton Orient 1 Walsall 0 Match Report: Leyton Orient 1 Walsall 0

Match Report: Leyton Orient 1 Walsall 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Leyton Orient.
Walsall returned to action on Saturday afternoon as they made the trip to London where they took on league leaders Leyton Orient as the Saddlers looked to end an ever-growing winless run.

Arriving at the match on the back of a midweek draw with Colchester United, Michael Flynn's side have struggled for form over recent weeks, with their promising start well and truly forgotten.

The teams took some time to settle into the game, with both enjoying spells in possession, without creating much to trouble their opposition defences during the opening minutes.

With nine minutes on the clock, Walsall won the first corner of the match, which Jacob Maddox swung into the box for Taylor Allen, who skied his effort.

Within a minute, Leyton Orient had won a corner at the other end, from which, Tom James found himself with a chance to open the scoring, but the defenders effort from  outside the box sailed wide of the upright.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with neither side able to create any further chances of note, until Liam Bennett found himself in possession in shooting range in the nineteenth minute, but the defender was unable to direct his effort on target, sending the ball wide of the post.

With twenty-six minutes on the clock, Liam Kinsella became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Paul Smyth.

The Saddlers saw plenty of the ball as the game continued, but neither side were able to create anything further of note, although twenty-nine minutes in, Isaac Hutchinson saw an effort from range blocked.

Ten minutes before the break, George Moncur won a corner for Orient with an effort on goal which was deflected behind. However, nothing would come of the flag-kick, as the Saddlers defences stood firm to clear the danger.

Orient continued to enjoy a brighter spell, with James and Ruel Sotiriou combining in the thirty-sixth minute to force the first real save of the game from Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans.

Daniel Happe saw an effort from distance blocked by Brandon Comley in the forty-fourth minute, moments before the board was raised to indicate that one additional minute would be played, but there was little further action of note and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.


The teams returned unchanged after the break, and the action resumed. Walsall began the second-half brightly, with Danny Johnson forcing a save from Leyton Orient 'keeper, Lawrence Vigouroux just five minutes in.

The game settled as it continued, but fifty-three minutes in, Idris El Mizouni worked the ball to Sotiriou, who fired goal-wards from twenty yards out, but he failed to test Evans in the Walsall goal, as his effort sailed wide of the post.

The hosts continued to press, winning a corner in the fifty-sixth minute, which came to nothing, before Omar Beckles opened the scoring two minutes later. Moncur forcing a save from Evans, with Beckles waiting to poke home the rebound from close range.

As we reached the hour mark, Orient opted to make their first change of the game, with Ruel Sotiriou making way for Aaron Drinan.

Drinan was quick to get involved in the action, winning a corner for his side just one minute after his introduction into the game, with a cross which was deflected wide by Maddox, however, nothing would come of the flag-kick.

With sixty-six minutes on the clock, Walsall opted to make a double substitution, with Isaac Hutchinson and Danny Johnson making way for Danny Cashman and Timmy Abraham.

Two minutes later, Leyton Orient were forced to make another change to their line-up, as Daniel Happe was unable to continue, with Shadrach Ogie the man to take his place.

The game settled again as it continued, with neither side causing their opposition too much trouble.

With seventy-six minutes on the clock, two further Orient changes were made, as Darren Pratley and Paul Smyth made for Jordan Brown and Theo Archibald.

The home side went close to doubling their lead in the seventy-seventh minute, as Drinan crossed the ball into the area for Kelman, but the striker was unable to keep his effort down, sending the ball narrowly over the crossbar.

The hosts continued to look the more likely of the two sides to score, with Brown firing an effort in from the edge of the area in the eighty-first minute, but Evans was alert to the danger and made the save.

Moments later, Tom James became only the second player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Maddox.

The resulting free-kick saw the Saddlers win a corner, as Cashman's effort from the set-piece was deflected behind by Ogie, but nothing would come of the flag-kick.

With eighty-five minutes on the clock, Walsall made their third change of the afternoon, as Brandon Comley was replaced by Ronan Maher.

Five additional minutes were added to end the match, but there was little further action of note, and the game was brought to it's conclusion with Leyton Orient winning by one-goal-to-nil.

Don't forget you can keep up to date with the latest Walsall FC news and views across social media, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
Previous Post Next Post