Match Report: Walsall 0 Coventry City 3 Match Report: Walsall 0 Coventry City 3

Match Report: Walsall 0 Coventry City 3

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' pre-season clash with Coventry City.
The Saddlers played host to Mark Robins' Sky Blues at a sweltering Bescot Stadium as both sides continued their build-up to the 2022/23 campaign.

The match got off to a slow start, with the two teams taking time to settle and adjust to the conditions. With thirteen minutes on the clock, Walsall created the first chance of the evening, as the ball fell to Brandon Comley, who fired an effort goal-wards from outside the area, however, he was unable to pick out the target, with his shot sailing wide.

The Saddlers continued to seek an opening goal as the match continued, with Timmy Abraham doing well to work his way into position to cross the ball into the area, but none of his teammates were able to get a touch on it to turn it home and the chance went begging.

With fifteen minutes on the clock, Coventry City created their first chance of the evening, as the ball fell kindly for Martyn Waghorn, inside the area, but Comley was alert to the danger and blocked his effort.

Coventry thought they had opened the scoring in the twenty-second minute, as Josh Eccles picked out Waghorn with a delightful cross, with the striker coolly slotting the ball past Walsall shot-stopper, Adam Przybek, but an infringement of the offside rules ensured the goal would not stand.

Walsall went close as we reached the half-hour mark, as a ball over the top was met by Ronan Maher, who did well to work himself into space in the box, but the youngster failed to beat Coventry 'keeper, Simon Moore with his effort on goal.

There was a brief pause in proceedings in the thirty-second minute whilst Todd Kane received treatment for a knock picked up when he was challenged by Brandon Comley, who was booked for the move.

The game resumed with Kane still receiving treatment on the sideline, and just one minute later, another yellow card was shown, as Timmy Abraham was cautioned following a foul on Callum Doyle.

Coventry won a corner in the fortieth minute, as Eccles saw an effort deflected behind, but nothing would come of the flag-kick, as the ball fell to Waghorn, whose effort on goal sailed wide.

Another City corner followed moments later, with Kane crossing the ball onto the head of Kyle McFadzean, but the captain's headed effort sailed harmlessly over the crossbar.

There was little further action of note, and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshment break with the scores still level.


Coventry made a change to their line-up ahead of the second-half, with Michael Rose sitting out the second forty-five, as Dominic Hyam took his place.
Walsall began the second-half brightly, with Abraham seeing an effort from just inside the area sail wide just three minutes in.

Abraham continued to cause problems for the City defences, linking up with Douglas James-Taylor five minutes into the half, though the latter's effort on goal was blocked.

Coventry were quick to work the ball up to the other end, and with forty-nine minutes on the clock, Jack Burroughs picked out Kasey Palmer who put the visiting ahead as he picked out the bottom corner with an effort from the edge of the area.

The Saddlers won a free-kick in a dangerous position in the fifty-fifth minute, and were unlucky not to level the scores, as Maher's effort struck the upright.

Walsall continued to press, with Liam Bennett forcing a good save from Moore with an effort from distance in the fifty-seventh minute, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

As we reached the hour mark, a superb double save from Przybek kept the City lead to one, as the shot-stopper denied Hyam from a flag-kick, before preventing Kasey Palmer finding the target with a follow-up effort.

An injury to Waghorn forced City to make a second change to their line-up in the sixty-second minute, with the side also opting to make a third change at the same time. Martyn Waghorn and Todd Kane making way for Fabio Tavares and Ryan Howley.

The Saddlers also took the opportunity to make a triple substitution. Donervon Daniels, Douglas James-Taylor and Flynn Clarke making way for Issac Hutchinson, Andy Williams and Manny Monthe.

With sixty-three minutes on the clock, Coventry doubled their lead, as a corner played short to Tavares was played on to Eccles, who curled the ball into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

Walsall chose to make a further change in the seventieth minute, with Brandon Comley making way for Peter Clarke.

Another Saddlers substitution followed moments later, as Hayden White made for trialist Jonas Mukuna.

Fifteen minutes from time, Coventry went close to securing a third goal, as Palmer picked out Walker from a set-piece, with the latter stinging the palms of Przybek.

That would be the final action of note from Kasey Palmer, who was replaced by Will Bapaga just one minute later.

With seventy-eight minutes on the clock, Coventry did find their third goal of the evening, as Howley worked the ball to Tavares, who fired home from just inside the area.

Maher and Williams combined well ten minutes from time, as the Saddlers looked to get themselves onto the scoresheet, but the City 'keeper got down well to get a hand to the ball.

In the eighty-second minute, Coventry chose to make a further change to their team, as Ben Sheaf made way for Josh Reid.

The Saddlers created one last chance of note in the eighty-eighth minute, as Maher picked up the ball in space and curled an effort goal-wards, but unfortunately his effort sailed inches wide of the upright.

That would be the final action of note, and the game was brought to it's conclusion with Coventry winning by three-goals-to-nil.


PALMER (49')
ECCLES (63')
ATTENDANCE 2,546 (875)
Don't forget you can keep up to date with the latest Walsall FC news and views across social media, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
Previous Post Next Post