Central League: Walsall 0 Accrington Stanley 3 Central League: Walsall 0 Accrington Stanley 3
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Central League: Walsall 0 Accrington Stanley 3

Here is our update from Walsall Reserves' Central League clash with Accrington Stanley.
Managed by Mat Sadler, Walsall Reserves played host to Accrington Stanley on Tuesday afternoon, with the team looking to build upon their season-opening one-all draw with Preston North End, which took place in early September.

Bring played at the Birmingham County FA's headquarters on Ray Hall Lane in Great Barr, the Saddlers named a young line up with first-teamers Tom Leak and Alfie Bates being the only experienced heads the matchday squad.

Jackson; Angafor, Lynch, Quincey, Leak, R.Sawyers, Waddison, Bates, Onabirekhanlen, Maher, A.Trialist

Substitutes: Hedge; Christofaro, Worley, Shaw, Derry
The match got off to a slow start, with neither side creating much of note for the opening third of the half, however, the visitors eventually grabbed the opening goal of the match as Tommy Leigh found the back of the net after nineteen minutes of play.

Walsall were soon looking to get back on level terms and saw Marvellous Onabirekhanlen and Ronan Maher combine for the latter to force Stanley stopper Liam Isherwood into a save with a low, possibly under hit effort on goal.

The Saddlers' next effort saw A.Trialist force Isherwood into a save. A, a proud member of the always-producing Trialist family, not really testing the 'keeper as Walsall remained a goal behind.

Mat Taylor's side continued their search for an equalising goal as Oliver Waddison found Onabirekhanlen in the box with a neat cross, but, sadly for the Saddlers, Marvellous was only able to head the ball wide of the post.

Walsall's next opening came via Lee Quincey, who forced the opposition 'keeper into a save with a long-range effort, his shot catching Isherwood off balance as his defence failed to close the Saddlers midfielder down before he got his effort away.


The first effort of the second-half came via Stanley midfielder Liam Coyle as the former Liverpool prospect forced Walsall goalkeeper Tommy Jackson into a smart save from the edge of the area.

Walsall's first real chance of the second-half arrived shortly after Stanley's, and saw A.Trialist and Jack Lynch combine as Trialist cut the ball back to his potential teammate, who sent a first-time effort into the hands of Isherwood.

The Saddlers' afternoon got a little more difficult with fifty-six minutes on the clock as midfielder Alfie Bates collected a second yellow card and was given his marching orders.

Stanley's push for a second goal ultimately bore fruit as, shortly after Lewis Mansell had sent a volleyed effort wide of Jackson's goal, former Walsall winger Jack Nolan slotted the ball home from close range, giving his team a comfortable lead.
With a man advantage, the visitors continued to look for more goals and went close once again as Mansell sent an effort wide of goal following Leigh's neat ball.

Walsall's next opportunity arrived via a combination of Maher and Lynch as Ronan found Jack in space, with the latter forcing Isherwood into a save with an effort from around thirty-yards. The resulting corner came to noting as the Saddlers remained goalless.
Sadly for the Saddlers, Stanley were able to grab a third and final goal as Oliver Patrick got the best of Jackson to slam the ball home from inside the area. Some poor defending from the depleted Saddlers.

There were no further goal-scoring opportunities as Stanley enjoyed a successful awayday in Great Barr. Plenty of work ahead for the Saddlers.

Leigh (19')
Nolan (64')
Patrick (90')
Ray Hall Lane
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post