Match Report: Leyton Orient 0 Walsall 0 Match Report: Leyton Orient 0 Walsall 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Leyton Orient 0 Walsall 0

Here is our Match Report from Easter Monday's League Two clash between Leyton Orient and Walsall.
Brian Dutton and the Saddlers arrived at the match in search of their first win in thirteen league games as they sat just seven points above the relegation zone ahead of kick-off.

Leyton Orient got the match underway, and just three minutes in, Walsall had worked their way into shooting range, with Mat Sadler firing wide from outside the box.

Just one minute later, with the ball up at the other end, Orient created their first chance of the game, with both Conor Wilkinson and Sam Ling seeing efforts blocked.

The Saddlers were quick to work the ball back to the other end of the pitch, where Josh Gordon saw an effort turned behind, with the resulting corner being swung into the box by Tyreik Wright, where it was met by Sadler, who fired over.

There was a brief halt to proceedings in the eighth minute, allowing Wilkinson to receive treatment, but he was soon back on his feet and able to continue.

The end-to-end action continued, with the Saddlers seeing Emmanuel Osadebe fire over, before Danny Johnson caused problems for Walsall shot-stopper, Jack Rose, who almost spilled the ball in the process of gathering, with Wilkinson looking to follow up.

The early frenetic pace slowed a little as the two sides settled into the game, with much of the action centred around the midfield area.

With twenty-two minutes on the clock, Max Melbourne received the first yellow card of the game, gifting Orient a free-kick in a dangerous position in the process, as he handled the ball on the edge of the area. Fortunately for the Saddlers, Daniel Kemp was unable to beat the wall from the set-piece.

The game remained something of a midfield battle as it continued, with neither side showing much desire to get forward and test their opposition defences.

Thirty-three minutes into the contest, Orient were able to force a corner, but nothing would come of it as the Saddlers cleared.

The hosts continued to see much of the ball, though they remained unable to offer much of a test to their visiting defences.

Four minutes before the break, Walsall were able to break forwards, winning a corner in the process, as Ling turned the ball behind, but nothing would come from the opportunity, as Osadebe's ball in was met by Sam Perry who headed wide.

There was little further action of note, but during two minutes added to end the first-half, Caolan Lavery picked up a knock, forcing the Saddlers to make their first change of the afternoon, with Rory Holden taking his place.

Following the substitution, the sides headed off for their half-time refreshments with the scores tied.


Leyton Orient opted to make a change ahead of the restart, with Ousseynou Cissé, who appeared to be carrying a knock, making way for Hector Kyprianou before Walsall got the action back underway.

The hosts enjoyed a good spell early in the second-half, but were unable to really trouble the Walsall defences, with their best chance failing to find Wilkinson in the area.

With fifty-two minutes on the clock, Joe Widdowson became the second player to see yellow, as he picked up a booking for a foul on Hayden White.

The Saddlers began to see more of the ball as the game continued, though they too were unable to really offer much to test their opposition defences, with their best chance trickling wide as Wright failed to find the target from the edge of the area.

Walsall then went on to win a corner, as Jamie Turley headed a Holden shot behind, but nothing would come of the flag-kick.

With sixty-three minutes on the clock, Leyton Orient opted to make their second change of the afternoon, with Joe Widdowson making way for Louis Dennis.

Dennis looked to involve himself quickly after his introduction, whipping a cross in from the left for Kemp, whose volley goal-wards was blocked by an alert Sadler.

With seventy-two minutes on the clock, Orient player-manager, Jobi McAnuff decided it was time to get involved in the action, taking the place of Craig Clay.

Fifteen minutes from time, the match was temporarily halted, whilst Walsall shot-stopper, Rose, dealt with an apparent issue with his eye. He was soon deemed able to continue and play resumed.

The Saddlers won a corner moments after the restart, as a low cross from Melbourne was turned out of play by McAnuff, but nothing would come of the flag-kick.

Orient then won a corner themselves at the other end, but Rose was well placed in the Walsall goal and gathered. Neither side really looking likely to find that all important goal.

With eighty-eight minutes on the clock, the Saddlers chose to make their second change of the afternoon; Josh Gordon making way as Derick Osei Yaw took to the field.

There was little further action of note, and after three additional minutes were played, during which time, Conor Wilkinson was booked for diving, the game was brought to an end with the scores still tied as they had been at the start of the afternoon.

Another largely disappointing display from the Saddlers, who do continue to defend well, whilst creating next to nothing at the other end.


Banks's Stadium
Paul Howard
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post