FA Youth Cup: Walsall 0 Fleetwood Town 3

Walsall Under-18s were back in action on Tuesday evening as they played host to Fleetwood Town in the Second Round of this season's FA Youth Cup.
Along with the Youth Cup the young Saddlers, who are managed by former Sheffield Wednesday defender Miguel Llera, have also entered a variety of competitions giving the prospects plenty of opportunities to impress.

Walsall booked their place in the Second Round with a 2-1 victory away to Coventry City where a Perry Moss brace was enough to secure the win for Miguel Llera’s in-form side.

Whilst Simon Wiles' Fleetwood comfortably defeated FC Halifax Town's Under-18s by five-goals-to-nil, continuing their strong start to the campaign.

Walsall XI: Rogerson; Coogan, Lynch, Willis, Zona, Perry, Moss, Mukadam, Pearce, Campbell, McSkeane

Substitutes: Jackson, Francis, Allamby-John, Dallywaters, Sharp, J.Perry, Taylor
Fleetwood Town XI: Pengelly; Goldsborough, Batch, Boyle, Hill, Barrett, Johnston, Williams, Collins, Baggley, Hayes

Substitutes: Borwick; Bird, Thompson, Takpe, Sithole, Patterson, Smith

This evening's clash, which took place at Banks's Stadium, got underway at 7.00pm and saw Fleetwood create the biggest opening of the first few minutes as Cian Hayes broke towards goal before being felled just outside the area.

The visitors continued their strong start and went on to take the lead with just six-minutes on the clock as Carl Johnston curled a free-kick into the back of Walsall 'keeper Dom Rogerson's net. A superb strike.

Walsall weren't completely without chances and saw a whipped corner cleared with ten-minutes on the clock as James Hill rose highest to clear the danger.

Fleetwood's next chance came via a free-kick as Barry Baggley's effort was almost directed into the back of the net by Hill, but the Saddlers' back-line stood firm to clear for a corner. The resulting flag-kick was poorly directed and eventually resulted in a goal-kick.

The young Saddlers were soon back on the attack and saw a well-struck effort saved as captain Joe Willis forced goalkeeper Scott Pengelly into a save with a shot from outside the area.

The match began to settle and saw very little in the way of goal-scoring opportunities for a spell with the only real action coming as Pengelly was called into action following a floated corner kick.

Dom Rogerson had to remain alert as the visitors looked to double their lead with Hayes doing well to break down the left, avoiding two defenders along the way, before sending a chipped effort towards goal. A comfortable save but one which had to be made.

With around five-minutes of the first-half remaining the Saddlers stopper was called into action once again as Hayes' neat cross fell for Baggley who sent a volley straight at the 'keeper as the score remained 0-1.

0 - 1

The first notable effort of the second-half took around five minutes to arrive as Saddlers captain Joe Willis sent a long-distance free-kick over the bar. Goalkeeper Pengelly wasn't troubled as he watched the ball clear his crossbar.

The Saddlers almost fell further behind as the ever-present Hayes went on a mazy run before chipping the stranded Rogerson. Thankfully for the Saddlers Jack Lynch read the play and was able to get back and clear the ball off the line.

Sadly for the Saddlers they were unable to keep up their second-half strength and fell further behind shortly before the hour mark. Fleetwood's second goal came via a Baggley free-kick as Hill was on hand to head home. The free-kick awarded after Willis had fouled Hayes.

Walsall manager Miguel Llera soon opted to make a change as Jayden Allamby-John replaced Alex McSkeane on the hour mark.

The Saddlers then went in search of a goal of their own and saw a chance go begging as Luke Pearce failed to make a good connection on the ball as he was found in space with a free-kick to the back post.

Sadly that was Pearce's last contribution to the game as he was soon replaced by Ade Francis.

Fleetwood should have put the game to bed shortly after the Saddlers' second change as Joe Collins raced through the defence and into the box before lifting an effort over the bar with just the 'keeper to beat.

Walsall went on to make their third change of the match as Jayden Campbell was replaced by Sharp. The manager looking to his bench for a way back into the game.

Meanwhile, Fleetwood continued to push for more goals and saw a Baggley free-kick clear the bar as their lead remained a two.

Llera's lads almost halved the deficit as Perry Moss, who bagged a brace against Coventry to book his team's place in the Second Round, sent a low volley straight at the 'keeper who claimed it at the second attempt. It just wasn't happening for the young Saddlers.

Opening goal-scorer Carl Johnston went close to adding to his opener as the clock continued to count towards full-time but was unable to for the goalkeeper into a save as his left-footed effort drifted wide.

Fleetwood would go on to grab a third and final goal deep in second-half stoppage time as a Ben Thompson effort took a deflection on its way past the 'keeper. A night of frustration for the Saddlers as their opponents take their place in the Third Round.

0 - 3

Johnston (6')
Hill (57')
Thompson (90+4')
Attendance: 283
Referee: N/A
Join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also find the very latest Saddlers news and updates on Google News.
Previous Post Next Post