THE FA CUP | MATCH REPORT | Reading 4 Walsall 0
Bescot Banter logo
THE FA CUP | MATCH REPORT | Reading 4 Walsall 0
THE FA CUP | MATCH REPORT | Reading 4 Walsall 0

THE FA CUP | MATCH REPORT | Reading 4 Walsall 0

5:29 pm Saturday, 30 January 2016 @BescotBanter  
Earlier today, Walsall travelled to the Madejski Stadium to take on Reading in the Fourth Round of the Emirates FA Cup. You can read our brief match report below.
Earlier today, Walsall travelled to the Madejski Stadium to take on Reading in the Fourth Round of the Emirates FA Cup. You can read our brief match report below.

Reading kicked the game off, but after a brief spell of play in midfield, it was Walsall that had the opening attack of the match as the hosts stood firm as Obita did well to block a Forde effort, the hosts ultimately cleared the danger.

With just over five minutes on the clock Reading had their first meaningful effort on goal as Tshibola sent an effort just over Etheridge's bar following an Obita cross.

The hosts were forced to make a change after ten minutes as Tshibola was replaced by Hector, an early injury issue for Reading.

Just seconds after the Royals had made the change, Walsall broke down the pitch and earned the opening corner of the match. Tom Bradshaw did well to break free of his marker and send a shot in on goal, his effort was deflected wide of the post by an alert Cooper, but the flag kick came to nothing as Reading cleared.

Reading soon won a corner of their own, this also came to nothing as Hal Robson-Kanu was beaten to the ball before an attacker committed a foul, gifting the Saddlers possession.

A couple of minutes after Neil Etheridge had to clear ahead of an onrushing Williams, there was some concern for Walsall as Anthony Forde required treatment from the Walsall physios. Anthony was ultimately OK to continue despite Kieron Morris being prepared to enter the field of play.

There was not a huge amount of attacking play for the next few minutes as both sides looked to to take control of the middle of the pitch.

Walsall did test the goalkeeper with a Demetriou cross, but the attack minded defender was already offside before releasing the ball.

The Saddlers continued to play well, and enjoyed some spells of possession, Rico Henry looking keen to break down the wing, his marker not so keen to follow him.

Walsall forced another corner following a training ground free kick between Taylor and Mantom. The corner was cleared as Reading looked to force the reds up the field.

Jason Demetriou became the first player of the afternoon to be booked, as referee Peter Bankes issued a caution.

Following a couple of attacks which ultimately broke down, the hosts opened the scoring as Hal Robson-Kanu easily beat Andy Taylor to make space and fire the ball past Neil Etheridge, all too easy for the Championship side.

Reading went on to double their lead just a few minutes later as Matej Vydra tapped home from close range. A cutting attack from the hosts, opening the Saddlers up too easily, a long way back even before the half time break.

Just before the referee blew for the break, Reading were almost gifted a chance to further extend their lead as Robson-Kanu took the ball off Taylor and found Vydra, luckily for Walsall he could only fire wide of goal.


Walsall got the second half underway, but Reading had the opening attack of the period as Norwood looked for Vydra with a diagonal pass, vice Captain Paul Downing was alert to the danger and headed back to Neil Etheridge.

With fifty minutes on the clock the hosts forced another save from Etheridge as Robson-Kanu beat Chambers to send an effort in on goal, easy for the Walsall stopper. Obita also went on to give Etheridge a touch of the ball as his cross was too close to him to create any openings.

Walsall's first real attempt of the half came ten minutes in as Romaine Sawyers slammed the ball on to the corner of the crossbar, a nice spell of play from the men in red, unlucky not to find the back of the net.

A few minutes later Walsall were again in on goal as they were awarded a free kick following a Williams foul on Henry. The opening came to nothing as Taylor couldn't find the target.

Reading won a free kick of their own a few minutes later as O'Connor, who was subsequently booked, felled Williams outside the area. Norwood took the free kick and send the ball crashing off the crossbar.

Walsall would again get the ball down the other end of the pitch and won a flag kick. The hosts went on to clear the ball but failed to get anything going as Vydra couldn't get control on the pass.

As Reading sent a shot wide of goal the Saddlers made their first change of the match with Jordan Cook replacing the previously booked Adam Chambers, an attack-minded change for the Saddlers.

Reading made their second change of the match with sixty-nine minutes on the clock as former Walsall loanee Paul McShane replaced Anton Ferdinand.

Neil Etheridge was soon called into action as Williams sent in a fairly tame effort following a nice passage of play, not a lot of time on the ball for the Saddlers as Reading continued to pass the ball around.

With just over fifteen minutes of the game remaining, Walsall were awarded a free kick, Anthony Forde was the man to play the ball in, and James O'Connor rose highest to meet it, sadly the ball could only find the roof of the net as the Reading 'keeper remained unbeaten.

Reading went on to further extend their lead soon after as Downing and O'Connor got into each other's way and allowed Williams to break through and slot the ball home.

Following the goal, Walsall were forced into a worrying change as Neil Etheridge was stretchered off following a collision with Andy Taylor during the build-up to the goal. Craig MacGillivray the obvious man to replace him between the sticks.

Before the Walsall change Reading also made a swap with Ola John replacing Quinn in midfield.

Reading would begin to enjoy much more of the ball as Walsall looked to regroup and get the ball forward.

As Obita beat Demetriou in the air, Walsall won a corner with around five minutes of the match remaining, Anthony Forde played the ball in but Bradshaw could only send the ball over the bar.

As time ticked away Robson-Kanu looked to put Vydra in on goal but the ball was too quick and gathered by the 'keeper.

Reading did get the ball into the net as Vydra tapped home from close range, luckily for the Saddlers he was offside and should've left the ball for a nearby colleague.

The hosts would ultimately get their fourth of the tie as Vydra headed home from a good Gunter cross. The scoreline not giving the Saddlers much credit for their overall play as the Royals took advantage of some sloppy defending.

As the referee indicated four minutes of added time, Williams stung the hands of Craig MacGillivray, who did well to get the ball away.

As the match continued,the visitors won a free kick which was taken by Norwood, a fine save from MacGillivray to keep the score at four-nil as the referee went on to blow for full time.

GOALS | Robson-Kanu (37'), Vydra (40' & 89'), Williams (75')
ATTENDANCE | 13,367 (1,636 Walsall)
REFEREE | Mr. Peter Bankes | Merseyside

Don't forget, you can also join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

About Bescot Banter

Bescot Banter is an independent look at Walsall Football Club

Follow Us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram