Posted by: Bescot Banter


Following Good Friday afternoon's Sky Bet League One match between Carlisle United and Walsall, Bescot Banter columnist James Rhodes shares his Match Report.
Following Good Friday afternoon's Sky Bet League One match between Carlisle United and Walsall, Bescot Banter columnist James Rhodes shares his Match Report;

The Saddlers made just one change to the starting XI with James McQuilkin coming in for Michael Ngoo after a promising substitute appearance from the summer signing. In addition two changes were made to the bench with Ben George and Kieron Morris getting their squad call up. No Milan Lalkovic once again.

The Saddlers kicked things off and early on in the opening ten minutes had a few attacks that led to nothing. These were followed by a few Carlisle attacks in what would seem an end to end game. Then came the turning point after a series of strikes from both sides it was Carlisle’s Noble who would open the scoring. A curling effort that hit the post, and then hit Richard’O Donnell on the way in couldn't be cleared.

13 Minutes: Carlisle United 1 (Noble) Walsall 0

The Saddlers went in search of an equaliser straight away, and began to dominate possession. Andy Butler having a header saved and Sam Mantom driving a shot straight at Carlisle’s keeper Pickford.

Having been end to end it was expected Carlisle would fight back, and they did. They nearly extended their lead just before the break, only to hit the crossbar from an edge of the box effort.

H/T: Carlisle United 1 Walsall 0

No changes at half time for the Saddlers we came out following a team talk beginning to look sharper on the ball, moving it quicker. This was merited with a Romaine Sawyers ball into the box that couldn't be met by anyone to force a chance. It later found Sawyers as he struck his 20 yard shot over the bar.

We would continue to look the better side as Brandy dragged an effort wide which was later followed by some neat work by the forward whose shot was securely held by the Carlisle keeper. Dean Smith following the spells of possession and an improvement in the strike rate made a change. James Baxendale off for Michael Ngoo.

Ngoo came on and straight away made an impact; he had a shot blocked, and the rebound was struck by Mantom onto the post with the third hit over by McQuilkin. Carlisle went up the other end, earned a corner and then it was headed just over by David Amoo, who was unmarked. They continued to attack the Saddlers’ defence and hit the crossbar once again from 25 yards out.

After another promising performance James McQuilkin was substituted for Kieron Morris, one of our up and coming youngsters. He was thrown into the action straight away when he was called upon to deliver a corner.

We had looked like scoring in the second half as we looked  very lively and this was the case when an excellent delivery from Morris found Ngoo who jumped up and met the ball for his first Saddlers’ goal since joining in January.

82 minutes:  Carlisle United 1 Walsall 1 (Ngoo)

Following Walsall’s goal the atmosphere changed as we were back on level terms. One final effort from Reece Brown was driven inches wide as the hosts looked to restore their lead.
The final whistle was blown and the travelling Saddlers were applauded by the players.

A hard earned point for the Saddlers who now can look forward to a return to home soil on Monday with the return of Craig Westcarr and hopefully Milan Lalkovic subject to fitness.

F/T: Carlisle United 1 (Noble 13') Walsall 1 (Ngoo 82')
ATT: 4,389 (291)
REF: Darren Drysdale

By: James Rhodes.
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post