Match Report: Walsall 1 Barrow 1 Match Report: Walsall 1 Barrow 1
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 1 Barrow 1

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Barrow.
Walsall were back in action on Tuesday evening as they welcomed Barrow to the Poundland Bescot Stadium for their latest outing of their 2023/24 Sky Bet League Two campaign.

Barrow began the game brightly, winning a corner just one minute in, as Isaac Hutchinson put the ball out of play, but nothing would come of the early flag-kick.

Both teams took some time to settle into the game, each seeing plenty of the ball whilst failing to create anything to trouble their opposition's defences until eight minutes in, Elliot Newby found space to cross the ball into the box for Luca Stephenson, but the defender was unable to get a clean strike on the ball, allowing Taylor Allen to clear the danger.

Walsall created their first chance of note in the twelfth minute, as Liam Gordon raced forward with the ball before playing it into the path of Mo Faal, who fired goal-wards from the centre of the box, but saw his effort blocked.

Barrow were quick to work the ball back up to the other end, where Rory Feely crossed the ball onto the head of George Ray, but the defender was unable to find the target, sending the ball sailing over the crossbar.

The visiting side continued to press and were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position in the nineteenth minute, as Robbie Gotts was fouled by Hutchinson. Newby floated the ball in towards the back post from the set-piece, where Cole Stockton was waiting to receive it, but his headed effort sailed wide of the target.

Things settled a little as the game continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball without creating much of note, until Walsall went close in the twenty-ninth minute, as Joe Foulkes played the ball across the box for Faal, but James Chester was able to make the block to deny the Walsall man.

Walsall won a corner in the thirty-eighth minute, as Paul Farman turned the ball out of play under pressure from Josh Gordon. The ball in from Allen was met by the returning, Rollin Menayese at the back post, with the defender heading home from close range to open the scoring.

One additional minute was added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note, and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with Walsall leading by one-goal-to-nil.


The teams returned unchanged after the break, and Walsall began the second-half brightly, with Josh Gordon playing in Faal just seconds after the restart, but Barrow's keeper, Paul Farman was alert to the danger and somehow made the save.

Barrow went close at the other end just two minutes later, winning a corner as Emmanuel Adegboyega put the ball behind, which Walsall only partially cleared, with the ball falling kindly for Kian Spence, whose low effort from the edge of the area struck the post.

Joe Foulkes became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned following a foul on Newby in the fiftieth minute.

Walsall were quick to work the ball back up to the other end, but his effort on goal was deflected towards Farman, who gathered with ease.

Barrow levelled the scores in the fifty-third minute; the visitors were awarded a penalty as Menayese fouled Emile Acquah inside the area, with Dean Campbell stepping forth and duly converting.

George Ray became the second player to see yellow, in the fifty-fourth minute, as he was cautioned following a foul on Faal.

Play was paused in the fifty-ninth minute, allowing Mo Faal to receive attention from the medical teams. It was soon determined that he would be unable to continue, and Douglas James-Taylor was brought on in his place.

Walsall almost restored their earlier lead in the sixty-fourth minute, as Foulkes found Hutchinson with a neat pass, but the midfielder was unable to find the target, sending the ball wide of the upright from the edge of the area.

The Saddlers chose to make a second change to their line-up in the sixty-ninth minute, with Joe Foulkes making way for Joe Riley.

Barrow opted to make their first changes of the evening just two minutes later, with Cole Stockton and Robbie Gotts being replaced by Dom Telford and Sam Foley.

Josh Gordon joined those listed in the referee's notebook, in the seventy-seventh minute, being shown the yellow card for a late challenge on Ray.

Barrow were presented with a chance to take the lead in the eighty-first minute, as Newby picked out Foley with a cross, but Walsall shot-stopper, Jackson Smith was alert to the danger and made the save.

That would prove to be Elliot Newby's final contribution for the evening, as the visitors then chose to replace him with Ben Whitfield.

The Saddlers made their final change of the evening in the eighty-second minute, with Jack Earing making way for Ross Tierney.

Another Barrow change followed in the eighty-sixth minute, as Dean Campbell was replaced by Tom White.

Referee, Martin Woods saw fit to add seven additional minutes to end the match, during which time, Riley picked out Tierney with a good cross, but the midfielder's headed effort was easily saved by Farman.

The hosts continued to seek a late winner, winning a corner five minutes into added time, as Tierney knocked the ball down for James-Taylor, whose low strike was deflected wide. The ball in from the flag-kick caused Barrow problems, eventually falling to James-Taylor who got a shot away, but Farman was again on hand to keep the scores level.

That would be the final action of note and the game was brought to its conclusion with the scores level. A decent point for both sides.

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post