Match Report: Milton Keynes Dons 5 Walsall 0 Match Report: Milton Keynes Dons 5 Walsall 0

Match Report: Milton Keynes Dons 5 Walsall 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Milton Keynes Dons.
Walsall were back in action on Good Friday as they made the trip to Buckinghamshire and Stadium MK where they took on Milton Keynes Dons with the Saddlers looking to earn a crucial win in their bid for promotion.

MK Dons saw much of the ball during the opening minutes of the contest, but it was Walsall who would see the first real chance on goal, as five minutes in, Josh Gordon headed the ball on for Mo Faal, with the striker taking a good touch before firing goal-wards, missing the target by a whisker.

Walsall continued to press, when given the chance, going close again in the tenth minute, as Brandon Comley picked up the ball and played in Taylor Allen, who fired an effort in from distance which sailed wide of the target.

The visiting side went on to win a free-kick moments later, as Josh Gordon was fouled, but the set-piece failed to test the hosts defences, as they cleared the danger.

Walsall continued to enjoy a bright spell, with Allen playing the ball over the top for Faal in the fourteenth minute, allowing the striker space to shoot, but Dons 'keeper, Michael Kelly was alert to the danger and pulled off a fine save to deny him, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

The danger subsided for the hosts after that, and they were eventually able to work the ball up to the other end, with Joseph Tomlinson trying his luck from the edge of the area in the eighteenth minute, but the midfielders effort was blocked.

MK Dons continued to enjoy a brighter spell, with captain, Alex Gilbey a little unlucky to see his twenty-first minute strike deflected into the hands of Walsall shot-stopper, Jackson Smith.

The Dons went on to win a corner in the twenty-fourth minute, as David Okagbue turned the ball behind. The corner was taken short, with the ball eventually finding it's way to the edge of the area, where an unmarked Jack Payne was waiting to strike, but his effort failed to test Smith as it sailed high over the crossbar.

With twenty-eight minutes on the clock, the hosts took the lead; Tomlinson crossing the ball in from the left, with Gilbey heading it on for Emre Tezgel who fired home.

Things settled a little as the game continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball without creating anything of note.

The hosts almost created a second goal in the fortieth minute, with Tomlinson picking up the ball in space before firing goal-wards, but Smith was alert to the danger and made the save to deny him.

Walsall went close at the other just three minutes later, as Liam Gordon broke with the ball before passing to an unmarked Josh Gordon, but Kelly saw the danger and cut out the cross.

One additional minute was added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with MK Dons leading by one-goal-to-nil.


Walsall opted to make a change as the teams returned, with Mo Faal sitting out the second-half, as Ross Tierney took his place.

MK Dons began the second-half brightly, with Stephen Wearne going looking to double his sides lead just five minutes after the restart, but Allen was alert to the danger and got his body in the way to prevent a goal.

The hosts continued to press, with Gilbey working the ball back to Wearne just two minutes later, but the midfielder fired over.

Ten minutes into the second-half, MK Dons opted to make their first changes of the afternoon, with Jack Payne and Emre Tezgel making way for Ethan Robson and Max Dean.

MK Dons were awarded a penalty in the fifty-sixth minute, as Smith felled Dean inside the area. There was a brief halt to proceedings before the spot-kick would be taken though, allowing the Walsall shot-stopper to receive attention from the medical team. Jackson was soon back on his feet, allowing play to continue, and Dean stepped forth to take the spot-kick and duly converted, doubling his sides advantage.

The hosts continued to press, with Gilbey seeing an effort sail wide of the post in the sixty-first minute. The Dons captain had more luck in front of goal just one minute later though, as Dean worked the ball to him and he coolly fired past Smith to add a third to his sides tally.

Walsall responded to the goal by making two further changes to their line-up, with Donervon Daniels and Brandon Comley making way for Aramide Oteh and Jamille Matt in the sixty-fifth minute.

Liam Gordon became the first player to see yellow, in the sixty-eighth minute, as he was cautioned following a foul on Daniel Harvie.

MK Dons chose to make two further changes in the sixty-ninth minute, with Stephen Wearne and Daniel Harvie making way for Daniel Kemp and Dean Lewington.

The hosts continued to seek further goals as the game continued, with Lewis Bate seeing an effort sail wide of the upright in the seventy-second minute.

The hosts had more luck, two minutes later, as Dean broke with the ball before playing in Tomlinson who fired home to extend his sides lead to four.

Walsall responded again by making their fourth change of the afternoon, with Josh Gordon making way for Danny Johnson. The hosts also took the opportunity to make a change to their line-up, as Lewis Bate was replaced by Jordan Williams.

MK Dons made it five in the seventy-eighth minute, as Dean secured his second goal of the afternoon with a shot from close range following a corner.

Emmanuel Adegboyega became the second player to see yellow, as he was cautioned following a foul on Tomlinson, in the eighty-first minute.

The home side continued to seek more goals as the game entered it's final minutes, with Kemp seeing a powerful strike from the edge of the area rise over the crossbar in the eighty-sixth minute.

Six additional minutes were added to end the game, but there was little further action of note, and the match was brought to it's conclusion with MK Dons winning by five-goals-to-nil. A disappointing performance from the Saddlers, who never looked likely to take anything from the contest.

TEZGEL (28')
DEAN [P] (59')
GILBEY (62')
DEAN (78')

Previous Post Next Post