Match Report: Walsall 3 Morecambe 0 Match Report: Walsall 3 Morecambe 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 3 Morecambe 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Morecambe.
Attention turned to the Poundland Bescot Stadium on Tuesday evening as the Saddlers played host to Morecambe in their latest League Two outing of the season.

Following a minute of applause in memory of former Walsall manager, Jan Sรธrensen, the match got underway. The teams took some time to settle into the contest, both seeing spells on the ball without creating much of note in the early goings.

Eight minutes in, Morecambe won the first corner of the game, as a Joe Adams shot was deflected behind by Emmanuel Adegboyega. Nothing would come of the flag-kick, but the visiting side won a free-kick in a dangerous position moments later as Tom Knowles fouled Jake Taylor, from which another corner followed, though that too would come to nothing.

Walsall grew into the game as it continued, forcing the first real save from either 'keeper, in the twelfth minute, as Isaac Hutchinson fired goal-wards, forcing Morecambe shot-stopper, Archie Mair to tip the ball over the bar.

The ball in from the resulting corner fell to Hutchinson, who did well to get the ball to Ross Tierney who was on hand to fire home, putting his side ahead just thirteen minutes in.

Morecambe looked to respond quickly to falling behind, but Jordan Slew was unable to beat the Walsall defences in the nineteenth minute, seeing his effort turned behind by David Okagbue, with the resulting corner coming to nothing, as a headed clearance fell to Charlie Brown, whose strike from distance sailed wide of the target.

Brandon Comley became the first player to draw the attentions of the referee, as he was shown the yellow card for time wasting just twenty-three minutes into the contest.

The visiting side continued to press, with Joel Senior forcing a save from Walsall shot-stopper, Jackson Smith with a strike from the edge of the area in the twenty-fifth minute.

The Saddlers were quick to work the ball up to the other end, extending their lead in the twenty-sixth minute, as Josh Gordon beat his man and delivered a low cross in for Jamille Matt, who poked home from close range.

Things settled a little as the game continued, with much of the action confined to the midfield area, as both sides enjoyed spells on the ball, without creating much going forwards.

Thirty-five minutes in, the Shrimps went close to pulling a goal back, as Slew cut inside and fired an effort in, but his shot was deflected wide by Comley, and the resulting corner came to nothing.

The hosts almost added a third to their tally just two minutes later, as Taylor Allen picked up the ball on the edge of the area and fired goal-wards, but Mair was alert to the danger and did well to make the save to deny him.

Walsall continued to press, with Adegboyega floating the ball in for Matt in the forty-third minute, but Mair remained alert to the danger and gathered the strikers headed effort with ease.

Two additional minutes were added to end the first-half, during which time Hutchinson saw a strike blocked, but there was little further action of note and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with Walsall leading by two-goals-to-nil.


The teams returned unchanged following the break, and the action got back underway. Both sides enjoyed spells on the ball in the opening few minutes of the half, though neither were able to create anything to trouble their opposition defences.

Chris Stokes joined Comley in the referee's notebook in the fifty-third minute, as he was cautioned after getting into an argument on the pitch.

Morecambe opted to make their first change of the evening as that was happening, with Jake Taylor making way for Gwion Edwards.

The Shrimps won a corner in the fifty-fifth minute, as the ball was turned behind by Adegboyega, but the Saddlers defences stood firm to clear the danger.

Josh Gordon picked up the third yellow card of the game, as he was cautioned in the fifty-eighth minute following a foul on Adams.

Walsall chose to make a double change to their line-up in the sixty-first minute, with Brandon Comley and Ross Tierney making way for Ryan Stirk and Jack Earing.

Tom Knowles joined those already playing on a caution in the sixty-second minute, as he was also booked following a foul on Adams.

Morecambe continued to seek a goal back as the game continued, with David Tutonda trying his luck from distance in the sixty-fourth minute, but he was unable to find the target, sending the ball sailing high over the crossbar.

Walsall were quick to work the ball up to the other end, with Matt seeing a strike hit the woodwork before Adegboyega turned the rebound home to extend his sides lead to three.

The Shrimps responded to the goal by making a double change, with Chris Stokes and Julian Larsson making way for Farrend Rawson and Cammy Smith in the sixty-eighth minute.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with both sides defending well to twart the others advances.

With seventy-eight minutes on the clock, Walsall opted to make their second double change of the evening, as Jamille Matt and Josh Gordon made way for Mo Faal and Douglas James-Taylor.

David Tutonda was cautioned in the eightieth minute, drawing a caution from the referee for a foul on Earing.

The Saddlers almost added a fourth goal to their tally in the eighty-first minute, winning a free-kick, which was crossed into the box by Allen, finding the head of Okagbue, whose effort narrowly missed the target. The home side continued to press, with Okagbue heading the ball on for James-Taylor, whose effort on goal was blocked.

Seven minutes from time, the visiting side chose to make what would be their final change of the game, with Jordan Slew departing in favour of Max Melbourne.

Four minutes later, the Saddlers followed suit, making their final change, with Tom Knowles making way for Joe Foulkes.

Jack Earing became the fourth Walsall player to see yellow, as he was cautioned following a foul on Edwards as the board was raised to indicate that a minimum of five additional minutes would be played.

There was little further action of note and the match was brought to it's conclusion with Walsall winning by three-goals-to-nil. A good performance from the Saddlers, who took their chances well and defended stoically.

MATT (26')

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on ๐•, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post