Match Report: Walsall 0 Newport County 3 Match Report: Walsall 0 Newport County 3
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 0 Newport County 3

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Newport County.
Walsall welcomed Newport County to the Poundland Bescot Stadium on Saturday afternoon as they continued to chip away at the ever-decreasing League Two fixture list.

Newport began the game brightly, and within four minutes had taken the lead, as a cross from Adam Lewis found former Saddler, Bryn Morris whose effort on goal was deflected into the back of the net by Sebastian Palmer-Houlden.

Walsall looked to respond quickly to falling a goal behind, with Tom Knowles forcing James Clarke to turn the ball behind, with the resulting corner coming to nothing. Another flag-kick followed moments later as a Brandon Comley shot was cleared by Morris, though nothing would come of that either.

The Saddlers continued to press, going close to levelling the scores in the eleventh minute, as Josh Gordon picked out Isaac Hutchinson, with the midfielder firing goal-wards from just inside the area, but Newport 'keeper, Nick Townsend was alert to the danger and made the save.

There was a brief halt to proceedings after that, allowing Aaron Wildig to receive treatment, but the midfielder was soon able to continue.

The hosts soon had the ball back in shooting range, with Ryan Stirk picking out Josh Gordon with a cross into the box, but the Burton Albion loanee fired over the crossbar.

With just fifteen minutes played, Newport doubled their advantage, as Will Evans found his way through the Walsall defences and fired home.

County were forced to make an early change to their line-up, as it became apparent that Aaron Wildig would not be able to continue, with Harry Charsley taking his place in the sixteenth minute.

Walsall almost pulled a goal back in the twenty-second minute, but Liam Gordon saw a low strike parried by Townsend into the path of Josh Gordon whose follow up was turned behind by the 'keeper for a flag-kick, which came to nothing.

Things settled a little as the game continued, but Walsall went close again in the thirty-first minute, as the ball fell to Mo Faal but the striker was unable to find the target, poking the ball inches wide of the upright.

Newport won a free-kick in a dangerous position in the thirty-seventh minute, as Comley fouled Palmer-Houlden. Lewis stepped forth to take the set-piece but Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans was able to get to the ball to make the save.

Walsall were spared only momentarily though, as Clarke headed the ball into the path of Charsley in the thirty-eighth minute, with the substitute heading home from close range to extend his sides lead to three.

The Saddlers were awarded a free-kick in the forty-fourth minute, from which Knowles fired goal-wards, but his effort sailed narrowly wide of the target.

Four minutes were added to end the first-half, during which time County went again as Clarke found the crossbar with a headed effort. That would be the final action of note, and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with Newport leading by three-goals-to-nil.


Walsall opted to make two changes to their line-up as the teams returned, with Ryan Stirk and Josh Gordon sitting out the second-half, as Jack Earing and Aramide Oteh joined the fray.

Newport almost added to their tally just two minutes into the second-half, as a Ryan Delaney header was almost turned home by Will Evans.

The visiting side continued to press, with Morris firing goal-wards from distance in the fifty-first minute, but he was unable to find the target, firing over the crossbar.

Walsall looked to pull a goal back in the fifty-fifth minute, with Faal seeing an effort blocked by Clarke. Two corners followed, but nothing would come of either as the second was ultimately held by Townsend after Knowles fired goal-wards bringing the momentum to an end.

The Saddlers won a corner in the sixty-third minute, after Knowles forced Clarke to deflect the ball behind with an effort from distance, but nothing would come of the flag-kick as the County defences stood firm.

Twenty minutes from time, Walsall chose to make a third substitution, with Isaac Hutchinson making way for Ross Tierney.

The hosts went close again in the seventy-fourth minute, as Donervon Daniels worked the ball to Knowles, but the midfielder could only find the side netting with his effort on goal.

With seventy-nine minutes on the clock, Newport opted to make a double change, with Sebastian Palmer-Houlden and Will Evans making way for Offrande Zanzala and Luke Jephcott.

Three minutes later, Walsall made a further change to their line-up, with Mo Faal being replaced by Jamille Matt.

Owen Evans became the first player to draw the attentions of the referee in the eighty-sixth minute, seeing himself dismissed from the game for handling outside the box, with Oteh becoming the goalkeeper.

Newport opted to make a change in the eighty-eighth minute, with Bryn Morris making way for James Waite.

Just one minute later, Walsall made a change themselves, allowing Oteh to return to his outfield position as Tom Knowles made way for substitute 'keeper, Jackson Smith.

Six additional minutes were added to end the game, but there was little further action of note, and the match was brought to it's conclusion with Newport winning by three-goals-to-nil.

A disappointing after for the Saddlers, who saw much of the ball but struggled to make their possession pay.


EVANS (15')
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post