Match Report: Walsall 1 Sutton United 1 Match Report: Walsall 1 Sutton United 1
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 1 Sutton United 1

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Sutton United.
Walsall played host to Sutton United on Saturday afternoon...

Walsall got the action underway, and created the first chance of the match some eight minutes in, as captain, Donervon Daniels floated a ball over the top for Douglas James-Taylor, who was unable to direct his headed effort on target, allowing Sutton 'keeper, Dean Bouzanis to gather/

Louis John became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned just nine minutes into the contest, following a foul on Mo Faal. The resulting free-kick was played to Jack Earing, who looked to find James-Taylor but the Sutton defences were alert to the danger and prevented the ball reaching the forward.

David Okagbue joined John in the referee's notebook in the fifteenth minute, as he was cautioned following a poor challenge on Stephen Duke-McKenna.

Walsall took the lead in the eighteenth minute, as Liam Gordon combined with Earing to work the ball to Daniels, who beat two defenders before firing a powerful shot into the top corner to secure his first goal of the campaign.

The Saddlers lead was short lived, as just five minutes after they had opened the scoring, Sutton levelled. A long throw falling to United skipper, Craig Eastmond, whose low strike was deflected into the bottom corner.

Sutton almost took the lead six minutes after securing their first goal, as a Deon Moore cross was met by Charlie Lakin, who flashed his effort across the face of goal and out wide.

The yellow card was flashed again in the twenty-ninth minute, with Sutton skipper Eastmond the apparent recipient.

Walsall went close to restoring their earlier lead in the thirty-second minute, as Isaac Hutchinson slipped the ball through for Tom Knowles who cut inside and attempted to find the target, but his effort was blocked.

United had soon worked the ball back to the other end, where a Joe Kizzi cross was cleared into the path of Eastmond, and fortunately for the Saddlers, the visiting skipper was unable to keep his effort on target, sending the ball soaring over the crossbar.

The visitors continued to press, with Lee Angol firing an effort in on goal in the thirty-eighth minute, but Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans was alert to the danger and made the save, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

Sutton continued to test the Walsall defences as the match continued, with Harry Beautyman playing in Lakin in the forty-third minute, but his left-footed strike from outside the box sailed narrowly wide of Evans' upright.

Two minutes of additional time were added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores tied at one-goal-apiece.


Walsall opted to make their first change as the teams returned, with Douglas James-Taylor sitting out the second-half, as Jamille Matt took his place, before Sutton got the action back underway.

A touching tribute to Mark Rainer followed, with fans standing to applaud in memory of the late Walsall supporter.

Walsall won a corner just three minutes into the second-half, as Sam Hart turned the ball behind. Nothing would come of the flag-kick, though another would follow two minutes later, as a Hutchinson effort from outside the area was turned behind by John, though nothing would come of that either.

The Saddlers continued to press, with Earing playing a low cross towards the front post for Faal, but the striker was unable to find the target, turning the ball wide of the upright.

Sutton chose to make their first changes of the afternoon in the fifty-fourth minute, as Deon Moore and Stephen Duke-McKenna made way for Josh Coley and Omari Patrick.

Tom Knowles became the fourth player to see yellow, as he was cautioned following a foul on Hart, in the sixty-second minute.

Walsall opted to make a second change to their line-up in the sixty-sixth minute, as West Bromwich Albion loanee, Mo Faal made way for fellow loanee, Josh Gordon.

Owen Evans joined the players already listed in the referee's notebook, in the sixty-ninth minute, as the Walsall goalkeeper was cautioned for timewasting.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball, without creating much to trouble their opposition defences.

Sutton opted to make two further changes to their line-up in the seventy-seventh minute, as Craig Eastmond and Lee Angol were replaced by Christian N'Guessan and Oliver Sanderson.

Josh Gordon looked to provide a moment of magic in the seventy-eighth minute, as he attempted an overhead kick, but Bouzanis was alert to the danger and got to the ball in time to punch clear, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

Ten minutes from time, Isaac Hutchinson became the fifth Walsall man to see yellow, as he was cautioned for dissent.

Things settled again as the game continued, with Sutton enjoying plenty of time with the ball as they appeared content to sit back and prevent Walsall from creating further chances on goal.

Three additional minutes were added to end the match, during which time, Brandon Comley joined those playing on a caution, as he was shown the yellow card following a foul on Beautyman.

Sutton opted to make one final change three minutes into added time, with Louis John making way for Omar Sowunmi.

Christian N'Guessan was then shown the yellow card for ninety-fourth minute foul on Priestley Farquharson. That would be the final action of note, and the game was brought to it's conclusion with the scores still tied at one-goal-apiece.

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post