Match Report: Alfreton Town 0 Walsall 0 Match Report: Alfreton Town 0 Walsall 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Alfreton Town 0 Walsall 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' Emirates FA Cup - Second Round meeting with Alfreton Town.
After knocking Sheppey United out in the First Round, the Saddlers were once again looking to break non-league hearts as they made the trip to the Impact Arena and took on Alfreton Town in the Second Round of the world's oldest domestic cup competition.

Walsall began the game brightly, winning a corner just three minutes into the contest, as Adam Lund turned the ball out of play. Ryan Stirk swung the ball in from the flag-kick, with Alfreton 'keeper, George Willis palming it into his own net, but the officials saw a foul in the build-up and the goal was disallowed.

The visiting side continued to press, with Stirk playing the ball through for Freddie Draper in the ninth minute, but the Town shot-stopper was alert to the danger this time and denied the striker with his legs.

Alfreton grew into the contest as it continued, with Lund playing a long throw into the area in the thirteenth minute, forcing Walsall shot-stopper, Jackson Smith to concede a corner, but the visiting side were able to clear.

The hosts continued to enjoy a bright spell as the game continued, with another long throw causing issues for the Saddlers defences in the seventeenth minute, as the ball was flicked towards the back post, where Donervon Daniels was ultimately able to clear the ball off the line to keep the scores level.

Town went close again just two minutes later, as Dwayne Wiley crossed the ball in for Shaun Brisley, whose headed effort from the centre of the box was well saved by Smith.

Walsall worked the ball up to the end, winning a free-kick in a dangerous position in the twenty-first minute. Stirk played the ball in towards the back post from the set-piece, where Priestley Farquharson and Daniels combined to see the ball played into the path of Oisin McEntee, but the midfielders strike sailed high over the crossbar.

Alfreton were quick to work the ball back into the Walsall half, with Smith being called into action again in the twenty-second minute, as Wiley headed the ball goal-wards with the 'keepers save falling to Jordan Thewlis, whose follow up effort was blocked.

Things settled a little as the game continued, but the Saddlers almost opened the scoring in the thirty-fifth minute, as a cross into the box was met by David Okagbue, who crossed the ball to Stirk, whose stooping header goal-wards forced a save from Willis, before his teammates cleared.

There was a brief halt to proceedings in the forty-second minute, allowing Harry Perritt to receive attention from the medical team, but he was soon back on his feet and play resumed.

Two additional minutes were added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.


The teams returned unchanged following the break and the action got back underway. Alfreton began the second-half brightly, winning a corner just one minute in, as Liam Gordon turned the ball behind. The ball in was good, finding Brisley, whose effort on goal was well blocked.

Both sides enjoyed spells on the ball as the game continued, and eight minutes into the half, Walsall created a good chance to open the scoring, as a cross from Draper found Isaac Hutchinson, who cut inside and fired goal-wards, but Willis was alert to the danger and made the save. Hutchinson drew another save from Willis just two minutes later, as the midfielder latched onto a Tierney cross, but again the 'keeper was able to get to the ball.

Walsall continued to press, winning a corner in the fifty-seventh minute, as Billy Fewster turned the ball out of play, but nothing would come of the flag-kick.

Things settled a little as they continued, but sixty-three minutes in, Walsall won another corner, as Lund turned the ball out of play. It was swiftly followed by a second as the ball in was again turned behind by Nathan Newall. The ball in was good, but the Alfreton defences were able to scramble the ball away from goal to clear the danger.

Alfreton opted to make their first changes of the evening in the sixty-fifth minute, as Jordan Thewlis and Ryan Taylor made way for Lewis Salmon and Jake Day.

The visiting side won another corner kick in the sixty-sixth minute, as Lund again put the ball behind, but nothing would come of the flag-kick, as Liam Gordon's strike from outside the area was blocked, moments before Stirk saw an effort blocked.

The hosts then worked the ball up to the other end, with Perritt firing an effort goal-wards from twenty-five yards out, twenty minutes from time, but the midfielders effort failed to find the target as it sailed wide of the upright.

Alfreton continued to enjoy a bright spell, with the Saddlers defences struggling to clear the danger, as Cantrill fired an effort goal-wards in the seventy-sixth minute, before the visiting defences eventually cleared a Perritt effort.

With seventy-eight minutes on the clock, Walsall chose to make their first change of the evening, as Ross Tierney made way for a returning Jack Earing.

The hosts continued to test the Walsall defences, winning a corner ten minutes from time, which was played in for Salmon, who did well to beat his marker before firing the ball goal-wards, forcing another save from Smith.

Five minutes from time, Nathan Newall and Tom Knowles became the first players to see yellow, as they were cautioned after getting into an argument.

Three additional minutes were added to end the match, during which time, Walsall captain, Donervon Daniels became the third player to receive a caution, as he was shown the yellow card following a foul on Perritt.

Alfreton were presented with one final chance to advance into the third round, three minutes into those added, as they were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous spot, but they were unable to make use of the ball, and the match was brought to it's conclusion with the scores still tied, forcing a replay.

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post