Match Report: Walsall 1 Crawley Town 1 Match Report: Walsall 1 Crawley Town 1
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 1 Crawley Town 1

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Crawley Town.
Walsall welcomed the Red Devils to Poundland Bescot Stadium on Tuesday evening as they looked to build upon their recent three-all draw with Newport County.

Enjoying good form in WS1, the Saddlers were also hoping to add to their visitor's recent woes as Crawley arrived at the match on the back of a three-game losing streak.

The match got off to a slow start, as both teams took time to settle into the contest, but seven minutes in, a Crawley throw tested the Walsall defences. A scramble in the box ultimately seeing the ball cleared behind by Joe Riley, with the resulting corner also being cleared by the Saddlers defences.

The visiting team continued to look the brighter of the two sides, with Nick Tsaroulla crossing a low ball in for Danilo Orsi-Dadomo in the eleventh minute, but the striker scuffed his shot, sending the ball sailing well wide of the Walsall goal.

Walsall began to grow into the contest as it continued, winning a free-kick in a promising position in the twelfth minute, as Freddie Draper was fouled by Will Wright. Ross Tierney played the ball into the area from the set-piece, towards Isaac Hutchinson who was waiting at the back post, but Laurence Maguire was first to it and cleared the ball behind.

Ryan Stirk delivered the resulting corner into the area, where a touch on by a Crawley head saw the ball find Huchinson, whose weak header was easily gathered by Crawley 'keeper, Corey Addai.

The hosts continued to press, with Brandon Comley playing in Hutchinson in the fourteenth minute, but the number eight's strike from outside the area was blocked by a Crawley defender.

There was a brief halt to proceedings in the eighteenth minute, allowing Tom Knowles to receive attention from the medical team, but he was soon back on his feet and able to continue.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball without creating much to trouble their opposition defences.

Crawley won a corner in the thirty-first minute, as Harry Williams turned a Ronan Darcy strike behind. Nothing would come of the flag-kick though, as Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans was able to gather the in-swinging ball.

The hosts had soon worked the ball up to the other end, where Liam Gordon fired goal-wards from just inside the area, but his effort sailed narrowly wide of the upright.

Things settled again as the game continued, with both teams seeing plenty of the ball, without creating anything to trouble their opposition defences, though Crawley did win a corner in the thirty-seventh minute, as Liam Gordon turned a Kellan Gordon cross behind. Nothing would come of the flag-kick though, as the Saddlers defences cleared the danger.

The visiting side continued to press, with Klaidi Lolos finding space inside the box to send an effort in on goal in the fortieth minute, but the outstretched leg of Evans was enough to keep the scores level.

One minute was added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note, and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.


Walsall opted to make a change to their line-up as the sides returned, with Harry Williams sitting out the second-half, as Taylor Allen took his place.

The Saddlers began the second-half brightly, winning a corner just one minute after the restart, as Maguire turned the ball out of play. The ball in eventually fell to Comley, but the midfielder was unable to connect cleanly, sending the ball sailing harmlessly wide of the target.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle again as it continued, with both teams enjoying spells on the ball, with neither able to create anything to test their opposition defences.

Nicholas Tsaroulla became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned in the fifty-fifth minute following a foul on Donervon Daniels.

Walsall began to show more following that, as Hutchinson set Liam Gordon away, with the defender driving into space before firing a firm strike in towards the bottom corner, though Addai was alert to the danger and made the save.

The Saddlers continued to press, with Riley crossing the ball into the box for Hutchinson, whose headed effort was also saved by the Crawley shot-stopper.

Unperturbed, the hosts continued to seek an opening goal, with Gordon and Hutchinson combining to work the ball to Knowles, in the fifty-eighth minute, but the number ten was also unable to beat Addai, who was able to gather the effort.

There was a brief halt to proceedings as we reached the hour mark, allowing Travis Johnson to receive treatment for an injury, but he was soon back to his feet and play continued.

Walsall were soon back on the attack, with Daniels stinging Addai's palms with a powerful strike from the edge of the area, in the sixty-third minute, before Hutchinson sent an effort sailing high over the crossbar.

There was another break in play in the sixty-fifth minute, whilst Freddie Draper received attention from the medical team. It was soon determined that he would be unable to continue, and Danny Johnson was brought on in his place.

The Saddlers continued to look the more likely of the sides to open the scoring, with captain, Daniels picking out Tierney with a low cross in the sixty-seventh minute, before the ball was played on to the recently introduced Johnson, whose effort on goal was well saved by the Crawley 'keeper.

Things settled again as the game continued, and there was little action of note, until Crawley chose to make their first change of the evening, in the seventy-sixth minute, as Ronan Darcy was replaced by Rafiq Khaleel.

Town won a corner moments after the change was completed, as Daniels turned the ball out of play, but nothing would come of the flag-kick, as Maguire headed Kellan Gordon's in-swinging ball into the waiting arms of the Walsall shot-stopper.

Laurence Maguire became the second player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Knowles in the eighty-first minute.

The game settled again following the booking, although Hutchinson did see a weak effort blocked in the eighty-second minute.

Four minutes from time, Crawley chose to make their second substitution of the evening, as Klaidi Lolos was replaced by Jack Roles.

Walsall finally found the breakthrough in the eighty-eighth minute, winning a corner as Wright turned the ball out of play. Before the flag-kick was taken, Jay Williams found his name being added to the referee's notebook, as he was cautioned for dissent. Tierney was eventually able to take the set-piece, and found Comley, whose effort on goal struck the crossbar, with the ball falling kindly for Johnson, who bundled the ball over the line from close range.

Five additional minutes were added to end the game. Two minutes into those added, Evans was called into action to keep the Saddlers ahead, as Kellan Gordon played the ball in for Travis Johnson, whose headed effort was well saved by the Walsall shot-stopper.

Town had more luck just two minutes later, as Liam Kelly won a free-kick for his side, as he was fouled by Tierney. The cross in from Jay Williams picked out Orsi-Dadomo, who fired home from the centre of the box to level the scores.

Walsall almost found a second goal in the final minute, as Hutchinson looked to play in Knowles, whose headed effort sailed narrowly wide of the upright.

That would be the final action of note, and the match was brought to it's conclusion with the teams taking one-point-apiece from the contest, having both left it late to get on the scoreboard.

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post