Match Report: Walsall 1 Grimsby Town 1 Match Report: Walsall 1 Grimsby Town 1
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 1 Grimsby Town 1

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Grimsby Town.

Walsall were back in action on Saturday afternoon as they welcomed Grimsby Town to Poundland Bescot Stadium for their fifth league outing of the new campaign. 

Having suffered defeat to Brighton's Under-21s in a midweek EFL Trophy outing, Mat Sadler's men were looking to return to winning ways at the expense of the Mariners.

Grimsby began the game brightly, with Charles Vernam crossing a teasing ball in from the right just one minute into the contest, but Walsall 'keeper, Owen Evans was alert to the early danger and gathered.

The Saddlers were quick to work the ball up to the other end though, where Oisin McEntee crossed the ball into the path of Ross Tierney, whose headed effort almost bested Grimsby shot-stopper, Jake Eastwood, who did well to gather.

Walsall went close again in the fourth minute, as Liam Gordon played in Tierney, who had Eastwood beaten, but Harvey Rodgers was on hand to ensure there would be no early goal, as he turned the ball behind, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

Grimsby captain, Danny Rose became the first player to draw the attentions of the referee, as he was cautioned in the seventh minute, following a foul on Tom Knowles.

Walsall felt they should have been awarded a penalty, just nine minutes into the contest, as Tierney was felled inside the area, but the referee was unmoved by their appeals and waved play on, with Chris Hussey earning himself a yellow card in the process, as he was booked for dissent.

Town won a corner in the eleventh minute, as Hussey diverted a Gavan Holohan strike behind, but nothing would come of the flag-kick as Walsall eventually cleared the danger.

Back at the other end, the Saddlers won a corner kick in the fifteenth minute, as Rodgers turned the ball out of play. The ball in from Hussey towards the back post was good, but unfortunately for the hosts, McEntee was unable to direct his headed effort home.

Walsall continued to press, with Knowles doing well to create a chance in the eighteenth minute, but his effort on goal sailed wide of the target.

There was a brief pause to proceedings in the twenty-fourth minute, allowing Freddie Draper to receive attention from the medical team, but it was soon determined he would be fine to continue, and play resumed.

Things settled a little as they continued, but Grimsby won a corner in the twenty-ninth minute, as Rodgers combined with Toby Mullarkey, with the latter seeing a cross turned behind by Gordon, though nothing would ultimately come of the opportunity as the Saddlers' defence stood firm to clear the danger.

There was another brief pause in the action in the thirty-third minute, whilst Knowles received attention, but he too was soon back on his feet and able to continue.

Grimsby almost opened the scoring in the thirty-eighth minute, but a low cross from Vernam, aimed at Abu Eisa, who was waiting to convert at the back post, was well cleared by an alert Knowles.

Harvey Rodgers became the third name added to the referee's notebook, as he was cautioned in the forty-first minute, following a foul on Draper.

Eastwood was called into action from the resulting free-kick, as Knowles fired goal-wards, with the 'keeper doing well to make the save. The shot-stopper was called upon again moments later, with the ball this time being turned behind, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

Four additional minutes were added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.


The teams returned unchanged after the break, and play resumed, with Walsall captain, Donervon Daniels firing an effort narrowly wide of the target from the half-way line.

The Saddlers continued to enjoy a bright spell, winning a free-kick in the forty-seventh minute, which was played to Draper, who forced a save from Eastwood, moments before Eisa conceded a corner, from which Tierney fired wide.

Grimsby opened the scoring in the fifty-second minute, as a corner conceded by Knowles, was played short and eventually fell to Eisa, who fired a powerful effort into the top corner.

The visitors almost doubled their advantage just five minutes later, winning a free-kick in a dangerous position, from which Eisa struck the bar.

Walsall went close to restoring parity in the fifty-ninth minute, as Isaac Hutchinson fired a powerful strike goal-wards from the edge of the area, but Eastwood was alert to the danger and parried clear.

Tom Knowles became the fourth player to see his name taken, as he was cautioned following a foul on Eisa in the fifty-ninth minute.

As we reached the hour mark, Town again went close to doubling their advantage, as Mullarkey and Vernam combined to work the ball to the back post for Eisa, but his effort was well blocked.

The visitors went close again just four minutes later, as a cross from Mullarkey was met by Rose, who failed to beat an alert Evans with a headed effort. The resulting corner came to nothing.

Walsall opted to make their first change of the afternoon in the seventy-first minute, with Danny Johnson making way for Aramide Oteh.

Just four minutes later, the Saddlers chose to introduce a second set of fresh legs, as Tom Knowles was replaced by Joe Riley.

There was a brief halt to proceedings in the seventy-sixth minute, whilst McEntee received treatment for an injury, but he was soon up and able to continue.

Riley was quick to get involved in the action, as a Walsall corner was initially cleared by Rodgers, with Joe meeting the clearance and firing goal-wards, though unfortunately missing the target by some margin.

Walsall levelled the scores in the eighty-first minute, as a Tierney cross into the box was deflected into the path of Stirk, who fired home from the centre of the area.

Grimsby won a corner in the eighty-sixth minute, as a cross from Holohan was headed behind by Daniels. The flag-kick was poor, although the ball did eventually fall to Vernam, but his effort on goal sailed wide of the target.

The visiting side chose to make their first change of the afternoon in the eighty-eighth minute, as Charles Vernam made way for Evan Khouri.

Harry Clifton became the fifth player to be shown the yellow card, as he was cautioned following a challenge on Tierney in the eighty-ninth minute.

Moments later, Walsall made their third change of the match, as Freddie Draper was replaced by Jamille Matt.

Six additional minutes were added to end the game, and two minutes into those, Walsall were reduced to ten men, as Chris Hussey was shown his second yellow card of the match following a foul on Mullarkey, and received his marching orders.

Grimsby almost restored their earlier lead, three minutes into added time, after winning a corner, which was swung in by Eisa for Kamil Conteh, whose strike from outside the area sailed narrowly wide of the target.

With mere seconds left to play, Town opted to make their second change of the game, with Gavan Holohan making way for Rekeil Pyke.

The visiting side won a late free-kick, which Eisa fired goal-wards, but the effort failed to trouble Evans in the Walsall goal. Owen Evans was then shown the yellow card for time wasting.

That would be the final action of note, and the match was brought to it's conclusion with the sides each taking one point from the encounter.

STIRK (81') EISA (52')
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post