Match Report: Northampton Town 0 Walsall 0 Match Report: Northampton Town 0 Walsall 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Northampton Town 0 Walsall 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Northampton Town.
Walsall were back in action on Saturday afternoon as they made the trip to Sixfields Stadium where they took on Northampton Town in their latest League Two outing of the season.

Looking to rebound from their midweek defeat to Salford City, the Saddlers were faced with tough opposition as the Play-Off-topping Cobblers looked to close the gap on the sides above them with a win over their visitors.

Walsall got the match underway, and the visitors began the game brightly, winning a corner just three minutes in, as Sam Sherring turned the ball out of play, but nothing would come of the opportunity as Northampton cleared Tom Knowles ball in.

Northampton had soon worked the ball up to the other end and almost opened the scoring in the fifth minute, as Ali Koiki crossed the ball into the box for Sam Hoskins, but the strikers low effort sailed wide of the upright.

The game settled as it continued, with both sides seeing plenty of the ball, without creating anything to really test their opposition defences.

With fifteen minutes on the clock, Northampton went close, as Mitchell Pinnock fired goal-wards from outside the area, but Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans was alert to the danger and made the save, with the resulting corner coming to nothing as Pinnock's shot was blocked.

The game settled again, with both sides continuing to enjoy time on the ball, though neither were able to create anything of note going forwards.

As we reached the half hour mark, a dangerous cross across the box from Shaun McWilliams caused the Saddlers faithful a moment of concern, but none of the midfielders teammates were able to get a touch on it to turn it home and the chance passed.

The hosts continued to press, with Matt Stevens seeing an effort from close range sail wide of the upright four minutes later, before Akinwale Odimayo and Pinnock combined to set up Hoskins, whose curling shot sailed also cleared the post.

With thirty-nine minutes on the clock, Shaun McWilliams became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Isaac Hutchinson.

Walsall had an opportunity to take the lead in the forty-third minute, as the ball fell to Liam Gordon inside the area, but the midfielders strike sailed wide of the far post.

One additional minute was added to end the first-half, during which time Donervon Daniels became the second player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Hoskins. That would be the final action of note though and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still level.


The teams returned unchanged after the break, and Northampton got the action back underway. Walsall began the second-half brightly, with Hutchinson seeing an effort sail narrowly wide of the upright from outside the area, just two minutes after the re-start.

The hosts had soon worked the ball up to the other end, where Odimayo played in Pinnock, whose strike from outside the area sailed high and wide.

Walsall were quick to create another effort themselves, with Knowles seeing a right-footed effort trickle past the post in the fifty-third minute.

The Saddlers continued to press, with Jamille Matt playing in new strike partner, Matt Stevens in the fifty-fourth minute, but the Forest Green Rovers loanee was unable to beat Town 'keeper, Tom King who did well to make the save.

That would be the final action of note for Jamille Matt, as he was replaced, five minutes later, by Conor Wilkinson.

With sixty-one minutes on the clock, Brandon Comley joined those already listed in the referee's notebook, as he was shown the yellow card following a foul on McWilliams.

Northampton opted to make their first substitution in the sixty-second minute, with Louis Appéré making way for debutant, Tete Yengi.

Three minutes later, the hosts chose to make a second change to their line-up, with Mitchell Pinnock departing in favour of Josh Felix-Eppiah.

There was a break in play in the sixty-seventh minute, allowing Odimayo to receive treatment for a knock, but it was soon determined that he would be unable to continue and Ben Fox was brought on in his place. Town also chose to make another change at the same time, with Shaun McWilliams making way for D'Margio Wright-Phillips.

With seventy-two minutes on the clock, Ali Koiki saw his name added to the referee's notebook, as he was cautioned for getting into an argument.

Four minutes later, Walsall opted to make two further changes to their line-up, with Matty Stevens and Isaac Hutchinson making for Andy Williams and Robbie Willmott.

Northampton had a chance to take all three points with a last minute goal, as Fox played in Felix-Eppiah, but Evans was alert to the danger and did well to deny him.

Four additional minutes were added to end the match, during which time Conor Wilkinson saw his name entered into the referee's notebook as he was cautioned for arguing.

With ninety-five minutes on the clock, Town were reduced to ten men, as Ali Koiki received his marching orders after being cautioned for a second time, after a late challenge on Knowles.

However, there would be no time for Walsall to take advantage of their extra man, as the match was brought to it's conclusion seconds later, with the scores still unchanged.

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post