Match Report: Colchester United 0 Walsall 0 Match Report: Colchester United 0 Walsall 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Colchester United 0 Walsall 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Colchester United.
Walsall made the trip to the JobServe Community Stadium on Tuesday evening as they took on Colchester United with the Saddlers looking to make some inroads in their pursuit of the Play-Offs.

With the fifteenth-placed Saddlers enjoying a five-point advantage over their sixteenth-placed hosts, they were presented with a welcome opportunity to truly separate themselves from the battle to avoid the drop.

Colchester saw much of the early ball, but just three minutes into the contest, it was Walsall who were presented with the first opportunity to open the scoring as they won a corner when Junior Tchamadeu turned the ball out of play, however, nothing would come of the flag-kick, as the United defences cleared the danger.

The Saddlers continued to grow into the game, with Tom Knowles crossing a dangerous looking ball into the penalty area in the sixth minute, but Colchester's Matt Jay was alert to the danger and cleared.

Walsall continued to enjoy more possession as the game continued, and eleven minutes in, Jacob Maddox could have opened the scoring as he found space to shoot from outside the area, but his effort was blocked by a well positioned defender.

The game settled a little as it continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball without creating much to trouble their opposition defences.

With nineteen minutes on the clock, the hosts created their first chance of note, as Tchamadeu crossed the ball into the box for Tom Hopper, whose effort on goal sailed narrowly wide of the upright.

Walsall had soon worked the ball back up to the other end, with Isaac Hutchinson curling an goal-wards in the twenty-fourth minute, but United shot-stopper, Kieran O'Hara was on hand to make the save and keep the scores level.

Moments later, Knowles combined with Manny Monthe to force Ossama Ashley to concede a corner, but nothing would come of the opportunity as the U's defences dealt with the danger.

As we reached the half hour mark, Colchester won a free-kick in a dangerous position, as Monthe was penalised for a foul on Hopper. The ball in from Connor Wood found Luke Chambers, whose headed effort goal-wards was well saved by Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans.

The hosts continued to test the Walsall defences, with Hopper seeing a thirty-third minute effort cleared by the legs of Evans, three minutes before Tchamadeu saw a powerful effort collected by the Saddlers 'keeper.

Five minutes before the break, the Saddlers almost opened the scoring, as captain, Donervon Daniels combined with Knowles to work the ball into the box for Jamille Matt, whose effort on goal was deflected into the arms of O'Hara.

There was a halt to proceedings in the forty-second minute, allowing Hayden White to receive treatment, but it was soon determined he would be fine to continue and play resumed.

Two additional minutes were added to end the first-half, during which time, Chilvers fired an effort high over the crossbar. That would be the final action of note though, and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.


The teams returned unchanged following the break and the action got back underway. The teams took a little time to settle back into the contest, but seven minutes into the second-half, Walsall won a corner as Wood turned the ball behind, however, nothing would come of the flag-kick.

Nine minutes into the half, Walsall opted to make their first change of the evening, as Jacob Maddox made way for Robbie Willmott.

With fifty-eight minutes on the clock, Junior Tchamadeu became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Knowles.

Colchester were almost allowed to capitalise on a mistake from Liam Gordon in the fifty-ninth minute, as Akinde raced towards a loose ball, but Evans was alert to the danger and got out to clear the danger.

Sixty-two minutes into the contest, Donervon Daniels became the second player to receive a caution, as the yellow card was brandished in his direction following a foul on Hopper.

There was a brief pause in play in the sixty-eighth minute as Chambers went down inside the area and required treatment, however, the referee was unmoved by Colchester's appeals for a penalty and play continued once the treatment was concluded.

With twenty minutes left to play, Luke Chambers became the third player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul.

There was another brief halt to proceedings in the seventy-third minute, allowing Matt to receive treatment for a knock, but he was soon back on his feet and able to continue.

With fifteen minutes left to play, Walsall opted to make their second change of the evening, as Liam Gordon made way for Mathew Stevens.

Colchester also took the opportunity to alter their line-up, with Luke Chambers, Tom Hopper and John Akinde all departing, as Arthur Read, Samson Tovide and Kwesi Appiah took their places.

Walsall found themselves in shooting range in the eighty-second minute, but Brandon Comley's effort from the centre of the box was well blocked by a defender.

Six minutes from time, Samson Tovide joined those already listed in the referee's notebook, as he was cautioned for a foul.

Five minutes from time, Colchester chose to make a fourth change to their team, with Matt Jay making way for Alex Newby.

Walsall opted to introduce a third substitute themselves just four minutes later, as Jamille Matt was replaced by Andy Williams.

The board went up to indicate that seven additional minutes would be played to end the match, as Tovide saw a headed effort from the centre of the box sail wide of the target.

Walsall saw much of the ball during the closing minutes, but they were unable to create anything to really test the Colchester defences, although five minutes into the seven, Knowles did fire an effort wide of the mark from distance. That would be the final action of note, and the match ended with the scores still tied.

ATTENDANCE 2,577 (161)
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post