Match Report: Salford City 1 Walsall 0 Match Report: Salford City 1 Walsall 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Salford City 1 Walsall 0

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Salford City.
The Saddlers were back in action on Tuesday evening as they made the trip to Greater Manchester and the Peninsula Stadium as they took on Salford City in their latest League Two outing of the season.

Salford City began the game brightly, with Ryan Watson crossing a promising ball in for Ethan Galbraith in just the third minute, but the midfielders effort from outside the area sailed wide of the upright.

With five minutes on the clock, City opened the scoring, as Ibou Touray crossed the ball onto the head of Matt Smith, with the striker nodding into the bottom corner.

The hosts almost doubled their advantage nine minutes in, as Shane McLoughlin crossed the ball into the area, but fortunately for Walsall none of his teammates were able to get a touch on it and the chance went begging.

The game settled a little as it continued, but seventeen minutes in, the Saddlers created their first chance of the evening, as Jamille Matt headed the ball into the path of Tom Knowles, whose shot from distance sailed wide.

Knowles looked to turn provider moments later, as he crossed the ball into the area for Joe Low, but the Bristol City loanee was unable to find the target.

Salford won a corner in the twenty-eighth minute, as Dovervon Daniels turned the ball behind. Elliot Watt swung in for Galbraith, whose effort from outside the area sailed wide of the target. Another City corner followed two minutes later, but the Saddlers' defences stood firm and ensured the scores went unchanged.

The hosts continued to press, with Luke Bolton firing goal-wards in the thirty-second minute, but his effort took a deflection on it's way through the crowded box and Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans was able to punch clear, with Ryan Leak sending a follow-up wide.

Walsall had soon worked the ball up to the other end, where Matt saw a right-footed effort from the centre of the area blocked, after some good play from Knowles to work the ball to him, before Yann Songo'o saw a shot from distance blocked moments later.

The Saddlers continued to press, winning their first corner of the match in the fortieth minute, but nothing would come of the set-piece as the hosts cleared the danger.

Another Walsall corner followed just two minutes later, as Knowles played in Matt, whose shot from the centre of the area was turned behind by Salford 'keeper, Alex Cairns, but nothing would come of that flag-kick either as Cairns again turned the ball behind, gifting the Saddlers a third corner in as many minutes, but Manny Monthe's shot from the centre of the box was cleared and the hosts were eventually able to clear the danger.

One additional minute was added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note and only Smith's fifth-minute goal separated the sides at the break.


The teams returned unchanged after the break, and the action got back underway. Just two minutes into the second-half, Ryan Leak became the first player to see yellow as he was cautioned for a foul on Matt. 
The Saddlers began the half brightly, with Conor Wilkinson seeing an effort blocked in the forty-eighth minute, before Low played in Daniels, but the captains effort from the edge of the area sailed high over the crossbar.

Hayden White became the second player to be cautioned, as he was shown the yellow card in the fifty-first minute for a late challenge on Touray.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball without creating anything to really trouble their opposition defences, although fifty-nine minutes in, Cairns was forced to make a save to deny Wilkinson.

The hosts had soon worked the ball up to the other end, but Watt's sixty-second minute shot at goal from range was well blocked by Daniels.

With sixty-seven minutes on the clock, Walsall opted to make their first changes of the evening, with Conor Wilkinson and Liam Gordon making way for Isaac Hutchinson and Robbie Willmott.

The Saddlers went close to restoring parity in the sixty-ninth minute, as a cross from Monthe was headed goal-wards by Knowles, but Cairns was alert to the danger and made the save.

Ethan Galbraith became the third player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Maddox in the seventy-first minute.

Salford opted to make their first change of the evening in the seventy-second minute, as Callum Morton was replaced by Conor McAleny.

There was a brief halt to proceedings following the change, allowing Leak to receive treatment for a knock, but he was soon back on his feet and able to continue.

Walsall won a corner in the seventy-seventh minute, from which the ball fell to Daniels, but the captains effort on goal lacked power and was easily saved by the Ammies shot-stopper.

There was another halt to proceedings in the seventy-ninth minute, whilst Leak again received treatment from the medical staff, but he was soon cleared to re-join the action.

The hosts should probably have doubled their advantage in the eighty-first minute, as McAleny fired goal-wards, but his effort sailed inches wide of the upright.

Two minutes later, up at the other end, Walsall were presented with a chance to level the scores, as Matt played the ball into the path of Maddox, but the midfielders powerful strike was parried by Cairns, who eventually managed to gather the ball to prevent a follow-up shot.

Jacob Maddox joined those listed in the referee's notebook, as he received a caution for a foul in the eighty-fifth minute.

With eighty-seven minutes on the clock, Walsall opted to make a further change to their line-up, with Joe Low making way for Andy Williams.

Two minutes later, Salford chose to make their second change of the evening, with Luke Bolton being replaced by debutant, Louis Barry.

Nine additional minutes were added to end the match, during which time McAleny saw an effort sail high over the crossbar before Knowles saw an effort blocked at the other end.

Alex Cairns joined those on a caution six minutes into added time, as he was booked for time wasting, before Knowles saw a late effort on goal sail wide of the mark.

There was little further action of note, and the match was brought to it's conclusion with Salford winning by one-goal-to-nil. A rather disappointing performance from a Saddlers side who have recently travelled well.

ATTENDANCE 2,255 (550)
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post