Match Report: Sutton United 1 Walsall 1 Match Report: Sutton United 1 Walsall 1

Match Report: Sutton United 1 Walsall 1

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Sutton United.
Looking to bounce back from their midweek Papa John's Trophy defeat to Milton Keynes Dons, the Saddlers were hoping to make it three wins in as many league games as they made the trip to Gander Gren Lane on Saturday afternoon.

Walsall began the game brightly, seeing their first effort of the afternoon saved, just five minutes into the contest, as Isaac Hutchinson and Douglas James-Taylor combined to force Sutton 'keeper, Lewis Ward into an early save.

Just seven minutes in, Hayden White became the first player to be shown the yellow card, as he was cautioned for a foul on Omar Bugiel.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball, without creating anything to test their opposition defences.

Brandon Comley became the second player to see yellow, as he received a caution for a foul on Craig Eastmond, in the seventeenth minute.

Sutton thought they had opened the scoring in the twentieth minute, as Will Randall hit the back post with an effort, which rebounded into the path of Craig Eastmond who turned the ball home, but the flag was raised and the goal disallowed.

With just twenty-five minutes on the clock, Walsall were reduced to ten men, as Brandon Comley received his second yellow card of the game and his marching orders, after catching  Eastmond with a high boot.

It soon became apparent that Craig Eastmond would be unable to continue, and Sam Hart was brought on in his place in the thirtieth minute. Walsall also took the opportunity to make a change to their line-up, as they looked to reshape, with Douglas James-Taylor making way for Tom Knowles.

The game settled again as it continued, but thirty-six minutes in, Walsall shot-stopper, Owen Evans was forced to make a save to deny Adam Lovatt, who had fired a powerful effort goal-wards from outside the area. The resulting corner came to nothing, but the hosts continued to press, with Donovan Wilson seeing a shot blocked from the centre of the box a minute later.

Forty-three minutes in, Enzio Boldewijn combined with Wilson to create another chance to open the scoring, but the effort was blocked.

Six additional minutes were added to end the first-half, but the action was paused moments later whilst Liam Bennett received treatment for a head injury, but he was soon back on his feet and able to continue.

Five minutes into the six originally added, Randall combined with Louis John to create a chance on goal, but the latter's effort sailed high and wide of the target.

Four minutes later, Will Randall became the first Sutton player to see yellow, as he was booked for a foul on White.

The Saddlers then saw a late effort blocked, as Donervon Daniels headed the ball into the path of Hutchinson, who was unable to beat the United defences with his effort from a tight angle.

That would be the final action of note, and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.


The teams returned unchanged after the break, and the action got back underway. Sutton began the second-half brightly, winning a corner just a minute in as Peter Clarke turned the ball out of play, but nothing would come of the flag-kick.

The hosts continued to press, with Wilson seeing an effort from distance blocked in the fiftieth minute, two minutes before Robert Milsom saw an effort on goal from outside the area saved.

As we reached the hour mark, Sutton found themselves in shooting range again, as Joe Kizzi crossed the ball into the area for Omar Bugiel, whose headed effort from the centre of the area sailed high and wide of the target.

With sixty-five minutes on the clock, Walsall opted to make a second change to their line-up, with Danny Johnson making way for Taylor Allen.

The hosts again found themselves with an opportunity to open the scoring, sixty-seven minutes into the game, but after some good work from Bugiel, Wilson's shot from outside the box was blocked.

United won a corner in the seventy-first minute, as Evans turned an effort from Randall behind. The flag-kick was swung into the area, but a foul from Peter Clarke on Coby Rowe saw the hosts awarded a penalty. Milsom stepped forth to take the spot-kick, and duly converted, firing his side into the lead.

The Saddlers looked to restore parity quickly, with Liam Kinsella picking out Knowles with a cross in the seventy-fourth minute, but the midfielders effort from outside the area was blocked.

Fifteen minutes from time, Walsall chose to all three of their available substitutions, as Peter Clarke, Hayden White and Isaac Hutchinson made way for Andy Williams, Jacob Maddox and Danny Cashman.

Five minutes later, Sutton opted to make a change to their team too, with Omar Bugiel departing in favour of Kylian Kouassi.

Walsall looked to level the scores in the eighty-fifth minute, but Williams effort from inside the area was blocked.

One minute later, the Saddlers had more luck, as substitutes Cashman and Maddox combined, with the latter firing home from outside the area to restore parity.

United responded to the goal by making two further changes to their team, as both Donovan Wilson and Enzio Boldewijn departed, with Tope Fadahunsi and Josh Neufville taking their place.

Five additional minutes were added to end the match, but there was little further action of note and the game was brought to it's conclusion with the sides taking sharing the spoils.

GMILSOM [P] (72') MADDOX (86')
ATTENDANCE 2,773 (349)
Don't forget you can keep up to date with the latest Walsall FC news and views across social media, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
Previous Post Next Post