Match Report: Walsall 1 Grimsby Town 2 Match Report: Walsall 1 Grimsby Town 2
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 1 Grimsby Town 2

Here is our Match Report from the Saddlers' League Two meeting with Grimsby Town.
Looking to secure what would be their first win in five all-competition outings, the Saddlers arrived at the match on the back of a midweek Carabao Cup - Round Two defeat to Charlton Athletic.

Walsall started the game brightly, and could have taken the lead just three minutes in, were it not for some alert defending from Grimsby 'keeper, Max Crocombe, who did well to position himself to deny Danny Johnson, before Liam Bennett fired a follow up shot wide.

With just five minutes on the clock, Walsall had more luck in front of goal, as Johnson got on the end of a Tom Knowles cross into the box and prodded the ball home from eight yards out to put the Saddlers ahead.

The Saddlers continued to press, with Brandon Comley seeing a good cross across the face of goal missed by his teammates in the seventh minute, moments before Knowles spotted the Grimsby shot-stopper off his line and tried his luck from some way out, with his effort sailing wide of the upright.

Town created their first chance of the afternoon in the tenth minute, as Danny Amos crossed the ball into the box and onto the head of Harry Clifton, but the midfielders effort from a tight angle was easily dealt with by Walsall goalkeeper, Owen Evans.

The game settled a little as it continued, though sixteen minutes in, Knowles did see an effort from outside the box saved, and five minutes later, Grimsby's Bryn Morris saw an effort from distance blocked by Liam Kinsella.

With twenty-two minutes on the clock, Danny Johnson became the first player to see yellow, as he was cautioned for a foul on Gavan Holohan.

Walsall found themselves back in shooting range in the twenty-sixth minute, but Knowles shot came to nothing as the ball sailed wide of the upright.

The Saddlers went on to win a free-kick in a dangerous position two minutes later, as Andy Smith fouled Knowles but the chance would go begging as Earing's effort from outside the area was saved by Crocombe.

There was a brief halt to proceedings in the thirty-third minute, allowing Knowles to receive treatment, but he was soon back on his feet and play resumed.

Walsall went on to win a corner in the thirty-fifth minute, as Crocombe turned a powerful Knowles strike over the bar, but nothing would come of the flag-kick, as Comley turned Johnson's cross over the crossbar.

The final ten minutes of the half were a quieter affair, and after two additional minutes were played to end the first-half, the teams headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with Walsall leading by one-goal-to-nil.


Grimsby Town opted to make their first change of the afternoon as the sides returned; Kieran Green sitting out the second-half as Stephen Wearne took his place.

The visiting side set about trying to level the scores and just two minutes after the re-start created a chance to do so, but Danny Amos' effort from outside the box was blocked.

The game settled into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball, without creating much to trouble their opposition defences, until Walsall won a free-kick in the fifty-eighth minute, which Taylor Allen crossed onto the head of Donervon Daniels, who nodded wide.

There was a brief halt to proceedings as we reached the hour mark, whilst Donervon Daniels received treatment for a knock, but it was soon determined he would be unable to continue, and Hayden White was brought on in his place.

Sixty-five minutes into the contest, Town opted to make a second change to their line-up, with Daniel Amos making way for Aribim Pepple.

Moments after the change was completed, the visiting side were presented with an opportunity to level the scores, but Clifton was unable to direct Morris' cross home.

Walsall had soon worked the ball up to the other end, winning a corner in the sixty-eighth minute, as a Knowles shot was turned behind by an alert Crocombe. Jack Earing swung the ball into the box, but Pepple was on hand to clear the danger.

The Saddlers opted to make their second change of the game in the seventy-sixth minute, with Jack Earing making way for Andy Williams as the side looked to extend their lead.

Mere moments after the Walsall change was completed, Grimsby levelled; Pepple crossing the ball across the face of goal, for Clifton who met the ball at the far post and fired home.

Walsall had soon worked the ball up to the other end, where Knowles forced Crocombe to turn the ball behind, with a powerful strike from distance, but nothing would come of the resulting flag-kick as White headed over.

Town opted to make a third change to their line-up in the eighty-first minute, with Ryan Taylor being replaced by Danilo Orsi-Dadomo.

That proved to be a very inspired substitution, as Orsi-Dadomo played the ball into the box for Clifton, who prodded home from close range, in the eighty-second minute.

Walsall responded by making a triple substitution in the eighty-sixth minute, with Brandon Comley, Taylor Allen and Tom Knowles being replaced by Ronan Mayer, Timmy Abraham and Isaac Hutchinson.

Five additional minutes were added to end the match, during which time, Aribim Pepple was cautioned for time wasting. Despite much late pressure from the Saddlers, the match was eventually brought to it's conclusion with Grimsby winning by two-goals-to-one.


ATTENDANCE 5,644 (807)
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post