Match Report: Walsall 3 Colchester United 0 Match Report: Walsall 3 Colchester United 0
By: Bescot Banter •

Match Report: Walsall 3 Colchester United 0

Here is our Match Report from Saturday's League Two clash between the Saddlers and Colchester United.
Returning to action following their midweek draw with Crawley Town, Walsall were looking to return to winning ways as they welcomed Colchester to the Banks's.

Colchester United got the match underway, but there was little action of note during the opening ten minutes or so as both sides took some time to settle, though Walsall did see much of the ball.

With eleven minutes on the clock, Walsall won the first corner of the game, as Luke Chambers turned the ball out of play. Nothing would come of the set-piece, but another corner followed, as a Jack Earing effort from outside the box was blocked, though, again, nothing would come of the opportunity.

The Saddlers continued to look the brighter of the two sides, with Brendan Kiernan connecting with an Earing cross in the fourteenth minute, forcing a save from Colchester 'keeper, Jake Turner.

Twenty-two minutes into the contest, Walsall's pressure paid off, with Otis Khan securing his first goal of the season as he got on the end of a Kiernan cross at the back post and tapped home.

Colchester soon had the ball up at the other end, as they set about the task of finding an equaliser, with Luke Hannant drawing the first save of the game from Walsall shot-stopper, Carl Rushworth, twenty-five minutes in.

The visiting side almost found the goal they were seeking as we reached the half hour mark, as a free-kick played into the box by Alan Judge almost resulted in George Miller turning the ball into his own net, but Rushworth was alert to the danger and spared his blushes with a good save.

With thirty-two minutes on the clock, Khan doubled his tally, as he connected with a Ward cross into the box and slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

The Saddlers continued to seek goals as the game continued, with Emmanuel Osadebe driving forwards in the thirty-fifth minute before looking to play in Miller, but his touch had a little too much on it and Charlie Daniels was able to clear the danger, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

As we reached the final minute of the opening forty-five, the ball fell to Ward who opted to fire goal-wards from twenty-five yards out, but his shot sailed inches over the crossbar, and after one additional minute was played, the sides headed off for their half-time refreshments with Walsall leading by two-goals-to-nil.

The teams returned unchanged following the break, and Walsall got the second-half action underway. Colchester began brightly, with both Sylvester Jasper and Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu seeing efforts blocked with the first five minutes, as they looked to get back into the game.

With fifty-two minutes on the clock, the Saddlers almost made it three, with Khan crossing the ball into the box from a corner, only for Osadebe's headed effort to sail narrowly over the crossbar.

United had soon worked the ball back to the other end, where Junior Tchamedeu attempted a shot from the edge of the area, which looked to have Rushworth beaten, but the Walsall shot-stopper managed to do just enough to get a fingertip to it, turning the ball onto the far post before gathering to keep the scores unchanged.

The visiting side continued to press, with Hannant seeing an effort sail narrowly wide of the far post in the fifty-sixth minute, before Tommy Smith picked out a run from Freddie Sears, with the forward then firing high over the crossbar. Unperturbed, Sears tried again two minutes later, but Rushworth was on hand to ensure he would not find the target.

Somewhat against the run of play, Walsall effectively put the game to bed in the sixty-sixth minute, as some good play from Miller and Khan played in Earing, who headed past Turner to put his side three-goals-to-the-good.

Colchester responded to the goal by making a double change in the sixty-seventh minute. Luke Hannant and Alan Judge the two men to make way as Armando Dobra and Shawn McCoulsky joined the fray.

With fifteen minutes still to play, Walsall opted to make their first change of the afternoon, with Emmanuel Osadebe making way for Kieran Phillips.

Liam Kinsella saw yellow in the seventy-eighth minute, as the midfielder received a caution for a foul on Dobra.

Just a minute later, Walsall made their second change of the afternoon, with Brendan Kiernan making way for Sam Perry.

As we entered the final ten minutes of the match, the Saddlers went close to securing a fourth goal, as Kinsella and Phillips combined to play in Miller, but Turner was on hand for the visiting side to ensure that nothing more than a corner would come from the move.

That would be George Miller's final contribution, as he was replaced by Shay Willock in the eighty-seventh minute, as the youngster took to the field to make his league debut.

Three additional minutes were added to end the match, but neither side were able to create anything further of note. Walsall running out winners by three-goals-to-nil. A good display from the Saddlers, who remained solid in defence when tested and took their chances well.

Khan (22')
Khan (32')
Earing (66') 

Banks's Stadium
4,065 (150)
Martin Coy
Don't forget you can keep up to date with the latest Walsall FC news and views across social media, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram and also offer updates via Google News.
Previous Post Next Post