Match Report: Leyton Orient 0 Walsall 0 Match Report: Leyton Orient 0 Walsall 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Leyton Orient 0 Walsall 0

Here is our Match Report from Saturday's League Two meeting between the Saddlers and Leyton Orient.
After leaving it late to take all three points against Salford City last weekend, the Saddlers returned to action on Saturday afternoon as they travelled to East London and took on Leyton Orient at the Breyer Group Stadium.

Leyton Orient began the game brightly, creating the first scoring opportunity just four minutes into the contest, as Hector Kyprianou fired goal-wards from distance, but fortunately for Walsall his effort sailed narrowly wide of the upright. Orient continued to look the brighter of the two sides, with Tom James also firing wide just one minute later.

Unperturbed, the home side continued to press, with Harry Smith sending an overhead effort sailing over the crossbar in the seventh minute.

The game settled a little following that chance, with both sides enjoying spells on the ball whilst struggling to create much to test their opposition defences.

With seventeen minutes on the clock, the Saddlers created their first real chance of the game, as Hayden White floated the ball into the box for George Miller, who headed goal-wards from close range, only to see Orient 'keeper, Lawrence Vigouroux gather.

White continued to look a threat going forwards, launching an attack in the twenty-first minute, which culminated in Vigouroux having to make another save to deny him.

The Saddlers continued to enjoy a good spell, and went on to win a corner in the twenty-eighth minute, which Jack Earing swung onto the head of Rollin Menayese, who was unable to find the target with his effort.

With forty-two minutes on the clock, Orient were presented with a chance to open the scoring, but Theodore Archibald's long-range effort sailed wide of the target.

One additional minute was added to end the first-half, but there was little further action of note and the sides headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the scores still tied.

Leyton Orient opted to make a double change as the teams returned, with Ruel Sotiriou and Connor Wood sitting out the second-half, as Paul Smyth and Craig Clay joined the fray.

Both sides took a little time to settle back into the game, seeing spells on the ball, without really troubling their opposition defences, though fifty-three minutes into the game, the Saddlers went close to opening the scoring as Miller saw an effort blocked, before Joss Labadie collected the loose ball and attempted to find the top corner with a shot which was ultimately deflected over the bar by Shadrach Ojie. The resulting corner coming to nothing.

As we reached the hour mark, Walsall opted to make their first change of the afternoon; Kieran Phillips the man to make way as Tyrese Shade took to the field.

Four minutes later, the travelling side chose to make a second change to their line-up, with Brendan Kiernan making way for Conor Wilkinson.

Wilkinson looked to make his mark on the game quickly, as he looked to pick out Miller with a lovely low ball across the box, but Vigouroux was alert to the danger and managed to get enough of a touch to deny the shot.

With sixty-seven minutes on the clock, Harry Smith became the first player to see yellow, as he picked up a caution from the referee after involving himself in an argument.

Orient soon had the ball at the other end, where Smyth did well to hold up play for Smith, but the striker was unable to compose himself to get a shot in.

Walsall has soon worked the ball back into the Orient area, where White and Wilkinson combined to forced another save from the hosts shot-stopper.

With seventy-two minutes played, the home side chose to make their third and final change of the afternoon, with Theo Archibald making way for Daniel Kemp.

The game settled back into something of a midfield battle as it continued, with the sides  fairly evenly matched and unable to really trouble their opposition defences.

With eighty-four minutes on the clock, Paul Smyth became only the second player to receive a caution, as he picked up a yellow card for a foul on Labadie.

The Saddlers continued to seek an opening late into the game, with Wilkinson sending a headed effort wide two minutes from time, after some good work from Shade set him up.

Four minutes were added to end the game, but there was little further action of note and the sides ended the game as they had started it, with the scores tied. A decent point on the road for the travelling Saddlers.


Ollie Yates
5,826 (458) - Brisbane Road
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post