Match Report: Walsall 0 Morecambe 2 Match Report: Walsall 0 Morecambe 2
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall 0 Morecambe 2

Here is our Match Report from Saturday afternoon's League Two clash between the Saddlers and Morecambe.
Having already secured their place in the fourth tier for at least another year the Saddlers had little more than pride to play for when they welcomed promotion-chasing Morecambe to the Banks's.

Walsall began the game brightly, seeing much of the early ball and winning their first corner just two minutes in, as Morecambe goalkeeper, Kyle Letheren turned the ball out of play, however, the flag-kick would come to nothing, much as the visiting sides first corner did just a minute later after Tyreik Wright cleared the ball out of play.

The visiting side continued to enjoy a decent spell, winning their second corner just seven minutes in, as Hayden White put the ball behind. The ball in from Freddie Price looked good, finding the head of Sam Lavelle, but the defender's close-range headed effort sailed harmlessly wide of the upright, without worrying Walsall shot-stopper, Jack Rose.

Despite the Saddlers continuing to see much of the ball, the visiting side saw another effort wasted just two minutes later, as a Stephen Hendrie left-footer from the edge of the area was blocked by the Walsall defences.

Walsall began to apply more pressure as the game wore on. Wright forcing Letheren to make another save as we reached the quarter-hour mark before the side won another corner a few moments later as Price was forced to turn the ball out of play, though that would come to nothing as the visiting team defended well.

The hosts went on to win a free-kick in a dangerous position in the twenty-second minute, which was swung into the box by Emmanuel Osadebe and turned behind for another Walsall corner by Cole Stockton, which in turn lead to another flag-kick, though neither resulted in a goal as Morecambe continued to defend well.

Walsall continued to see much of the ball as the game wore on, though they were unable to make their dominance pay as the game settled into something of a midfield battle.

Thirty-seven minutes into the contest, the hosts did win a corner, which came to nothing, before Josh Gordon was presented with an opportunity to open the scoring two minutes later, as a White effort rebounded into his path, but the striker turned his close-range effort wide of the upright.

Two minutes were added to end the first half, and completely against the run of play, Morecambe somehow opened the scoring. Cole Stockton securing his fourteenth goal of the season as he fired past Rose, into the bottom corner moments before the teams headed off for their half-time refreshments. Walsall, having dominated much of the opening forty-five, left with much to do in the second half as Morecambe took a one-goal lead into the break.


The teams returned unchanged after the break, and the action got back underway. Walsall began the second-half brightly, seeing much of the ball and creating the first chance on goal, as Sam Perry whipped in a cross in the fifty-first minute, which Gordon, unfortunately, headed over the crossbar.

The Saddlers continued to see much of the ball as the game again settled into something of a midfield battle.

With fifty-eight minutes on the clock, Yann Songo'o became the first player to have his name taken by the referee as he received a caution for a foul on Osadebe.

Four minutes later, Morecambe opted to make the first change of the game, as Freddie Price made way for Ben Pringle.

Moments after the change, the visiting side were presented with an opportunity to double their advantage, as Brad Lyons crossed the ball into the box, but Toumani Diagouraga's left-footed effort sailed wide.

In the sixty-fifth minute, Walsall chose to introduce their first substitute, as Josh Gordon departed in favour of Caolan Lavery.

The Saddlers continued to see much of the ball as the game continued, though without troubling the Morecambe defences as much of the play was restricted to the midfield area by the visiting defences.

With seventy-seven minutes on the clock, Morecambe all but put the game to bed, as Max Melbourne conceded a corner, which was swung into the box for Lavelle, whose effort was saved by Rose, only for Songo'o to head home the rebound from close range to give his side a two-goal cushion over their hosts.

In the eighty-second minute, the Saddlers opted to make a second change to their line-up, with Liam Kinsella making way for Alfie Bates.

The Saddlers sought a late goal as we entered the final few minutes, but despite winning a couple of corners, were unable to find the back of the net.

In the eighty-nineth minute, Morecambe opted to make a late change to their side, with Liam McAlinden making way for Alexander Denny.

Five additional minutes were added to end the match, but there was little further action of note, though the visiting side did make a double substitution, with Nathaniel Knight-Percival and Yann Songo'o making way for Harry Davis and Alex Kenyon before the game was eventually brought to a conclusion with Morecambe winning by two-goals-to-nil.

A disappointing display from the Saddlers who failed to make their seventy per cent possession show, with a single shot at goal, as they allowed their visitors to take all three points.


Stockton (45+1')
Songo'o (77')
Banks's Stadium
Lee Swabey
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post