Match Report: Walsall U18s 1 Bolton Wanderers U18s 2 Match Report: Walsall U18s 1 Bolton Wanderers U18s 2
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Walsall U18s 1 Bolton Wanderers U18s 2

Miguel Llera's Walsall Under-18s were back in action on Saturday morning.
Playing host to Bolton Wanderers Under-18s, Llera's young Saddlers were looking to maintain their unbeaten start to their Alliance campaign as they faces the troubled Trotters at Ray Hall Lane.

The Saddlers, who have a busy schedule of games with the team also competing in various local senior cup competitions, had won all four of their Alliance outings heading into this morning's clash.

Along with last weekend's triumph over Tranmere Rovers, which saw the Reds win by three-goals-to-nil, Llera's lads had won four on the bounce and sat atop the North West table heading into the latest round of games.

Opponents Bolton hadn't quite matched the Saddlers' spell of form as they were yet to pick up a win with the young Trotters drawing one and losing their three other Alliance outings.

Walsall Team
Walker; Foulkes, Taylor, Sharp, Zona, J.Perry, Campbell, Perez-Duah, Derry, Stephens, Mukadam
Substitutes: Jackson; Smith, Simcox, Dallywaters, Barry 

It was the visitors who enjoyed much of the pressure in the early goings, with the Trotters even finding the back of the net with a header, before the referee called play back for an offside, sparing the Saddlers' blushes.

The visitors continued to push for the game's opening goal and were rewarded near the midway point of the first half as, despite Saddlers stopper Lewis Walker putting his body on the line a few moments earlier, the young Trotters saw a free-kick headed home at the back post.

It took almost thirty-minutes before the Saddlers created anything of note with Romani Stephens forcing a save with a left-footed effort, the attacker doing well to find space before advancing towards goal.

The Saddlers continued to improve but were unable to get themselves back on level terms as the half continued. Defender Joe Foulkes joined Joe Perry in the book, Perry being carded just a few minutes into the match, whilst Foulkes 'took one for the team' as Bolton pushed for a second goal.

0 - 1

Manager Miguel Llera made a change at the break with Ben Dallywaters replacing the previously booked Perry as the Saddlers looked for an improved performance in the second forty-five.

The Saddlers were gifted a way back into the match with ten minutes of the second-half in the book as Bolton's goal-scoring defender felled Brad Taylor inside the area, forcing the referee to award a penalty.

Walsall substitute Dallywaters was the man to step to the spot up and soon had his side back on level terms as he coolly slammed the ball into the bottom right of goals, putting the Saddlers back on level terms.

The referee's yellow card continued to get a showing as Walsall's Troy Perez-Duah joined colleagues Perry and Foulkes in the official's match report.

The Saddlers were soon looking to put themselves into the lead and forced Bolton's keeper into a save as Callum Derry broke free of his marker and saw a shot saved before Perez-Duah lashed the ball wide from just outside the area.

Not long after he saw a strike saved Derry was replaced by Calvin Smith with the manager looking to inject some energy into his side with less than twenty-minutes of the game remaining.

Walsall thought they'd put themselves ahead with fifteen minutes remaining as Stephens found the back of the net with an effort from outside the box, but the referee called play back for offside as he adjudged the ball had taken a deflection off Kyle Sharp, who was in an offside position.

The Saddlers continued to push for the goal which would put them into the lead and went close with seven minutes remaining as Foulkes lifted the ball over the bar following a post-corner scramble in the box.

Kyle Sharp then went into the book, making him the fourth Saddler to do so, a busy afternoon for the referee at a rainy Ray Hall Lane.

The visitors were not without chances of their own and Saddlers stopper Walker had to remain alert as an attacker broke through the backline and went one-on-one with his before the 'keeper was able to thwart his attempt. The scores remaining tied.

Sadly for the Saddlers they were unable to take the lead or even seal a point as the visitors took the lead during second-half injury time as 'keeper Walker was unable to keep hold of the slippy rain-soaked ball following a cross into the box, as the weather conditions paid dividends for the visitors.

A devastating end to the game as Walsall's winning run came to an end at the hands of struggling Bolton.

1 - 2
Dallywaters [P] (55')
TBC (20')
Ray Hall Lane
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post