Match Report: Crewe Alexandra 2 Walsall 0 Match Report: Crewe Alexandra 2 Walsall 0
Posted by: Bescot Banter

Match Report: Crewe Alexandra 2 Walsall 0

Darrell Clarke's Saddlers were in action on Saturday afternoon as they took on recently-promoted League One side Crewe Alexandra.
Here is our Match Report from Saturday afternoon's pre-season clash between Walsall and Crewe Alexandra, which took place behind closed doors at...

The match began at a fairly slow tempo, but just two minutes in, Crewe Alexandra took the lead as Charlie Kirk and Nathan Woodthorpe combined to set up Callum Ainley who coolly fired past Walsall shot-stopper, Liam Roberts.

Walsall looked to respond quickly, with Rory Holden firing goal-wards in the fourth minute, but Will Jaaskelainen was alert to the danger and got down well to save.

The game continued without incident, until an injury to Perry Ng forced a stoppage in the tenth minute. It was quickly decided that he would not continue, and Josh Lundstram took his place as play resumed.

Kirk and Ainley continued to cause the Saddlers problems in the early goings, with the pair combining again in the fourteenth minute, with the later firing goal-wards from the edge of the area, but Roberts was well placed to deny them a second.

Both sides saw plenty of the ball as the match progressed, but neither was able to trouble the opposition 'keeper.

Walsall went close in the twenty-sixth minute, as a corner won by Cameron Norman, was turned goal-wards by Zak Jules, but the defender could only find the post.

The Saddlers continued to grow into the game, and again went close as we reached the half hour mark, with a Jack Nolan low effort sailing narrowly wide of the upright.

The Saddlers continued to look lively, going close again ten minutes before the break, with Jules a little unlucky to see his headed effort bounce over the bar.

Crewe began to show signs of improvement as we edged closer to half-time, and doubled their advantage in the forty-second minute, as Kirk whipped the ball to Daniel Powell who fired past Roberts.

That was the last real action of the first half, with the teams heading off after a good run-out, with the Alex leading by two-goals-to-nil.

2 - 0

With a fresh team lining up for the second-half, the match soon got back underway. Crewe began the half brightly, firing their first effort high and wide just a minute in.

The Saddlers soon had the ball up at the other end though, winning a corner, which was played far too deep, allowing their opposition to clear the danger. A positive start from both sides.

Both sides saw plenty of the ball as the game continued, with neither able to create a clear cut chance on goal.

There was a brief pause in proceedings twelve minutes in, whilst one of the Crewe team received treatment for a knock, but he was soon back on his feet and able to continue.

Both sides saw plenty of the ball as the game continued, but with little threat to either goal. Walsall's trialist goalkeeper was, however, called into action to prevent a headed effort finding the target and he was not found wanting.

Crewe began to show more desire as we neared the final whistle, with Kirk cutting inside before firing an effort narrowly wide, moments before a Rio Adebisi effort sailed inches over the crossbar.

The Saddlers responded with a half-chance of their own, four minutes from time, with Caolan Lavery meeting a lovely Josh Gordon cross with his head, but the striker was unable to direct his shot on target, and the score remained unchanged.

That would be the last action of a fairly uneventful second-half as Crewe defeated Walsall by two-goals-to-nil. A decent first run-out for the Saddlers, after a five month break.

2 - 0

You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post