Birmingham Senior Cup: Rushall Olympic 2 Walsall 1

Walsall were back in action on Tuesday evening as they took on Rushall Olympic in their rearranged Birmingham Senior Cup - First Round clash.
Walsall last won the tournament back in the 1993/94, defeating Hednesford Town by three-goals-to-nil in that season's final and went into Tuesday evening's match looking to advance to the Second Round.

Opponents Rushall, who are managed by Liam McDonald, are currently 8th in the BetVictor Southern League Premier Division Central, and were hoping to build upon their convincing 4-1 Staffordshire Senior Cup victory over Hanley Town.

The winners of Tuesday evening's cup clash would book a place against Lye Town in the Second Round, Lye already secure their spot following a comfortable four-nil triumph over Stourbridge in mid October.

Rushall Olympic XI: Flatt; Clarke, Mitchell, Waldron, Whittall, Pendley, Whittingham, Moore, Rowley, Letford, Batchelor

Substitutes: O'Callaghan, Sheehan, Mansell, Sawyers
Walsall XI: Rogerson; Foulkes, Lynch, Leak, Perry, Nimmo, Campbell, Moss, John, Willis, McSkeane

Substitutes: Jackson, Sarvari, Friel, Pierce, Coogan

The first half was a competitive affair and saw both sides create goal-scoring opportunities, with the Saddlers hitting the woodwork along the way. Despite their endeavours neither side was able to grab an opener as they reached the break with both clean-sheets intact.

Rushall took control of the match during the second forty-five with former Walsall scholar Levi Rowley among those to have an effort on goal as the Saddlers were forced back with the Pics looking to grab the opening goal of the game.

The Pics were soon rewarded for all of their hard work as former Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Sam Whittall was on hand to head the ball over the line beating Dominic Rogerson and giving his side a well-deserved lead.

The home side were unable to hold their lead for long as Luke Pearce slid the ball past former Walsall trialist and ex-Wolves goalkeeper Jonathan Flatt to put the Saddlers back on level terms.

Both sides had opportunities to go into the lead as the half went on and it was ultimately the Pics who would reap the rewards as Jonathan Letford evaded his markers, rounded the 'keeper and slotted the ball home to see the home side through to the next round.

2 - 1
Whittall (71')
Letford (90+3')
Pearce (76')

Attendance: TBC
Referee: Dean Steatham
Join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also find the very latest Saddlers news and updates on Google News.
Previous Post Next Post