CENTRAL LEAGUE: Port Vale 1 Walsall 1

Earlier today, John Ward's Walsall Development squad were back in action as they travelled North to take on Port Vale's Reserves in their latest Central League fixture of the season.
Earlier today, John Ward's Walsall Development squad were back in action as they travelled North to take on Port Vale's Reserves in their latest Central League fixture of the season.

Lainton, Reeves, Barnett, Dennis, Kelly, Calveley, Regis, Middleton, Wilson, Angus, Forrester.

Substitutes: Slinn, Benns, Ryder, Thomas, Ward
Ganley; Mason, Vann, Cockerill-Mollett, Kendrick, Sangha, Shorrock, Kouhyar, Hayles-Docherty, Peters, Candlin

Substitutes: Fisher, Bates, Leivesley, Parker, Cairns

The Saddlers second string had played just four Central League fixtures heading into this afternoon's clash, recording two wins and two defeats along the way.

The Valiants headed into the fixture with a prefect record having won all six of their games and were keen to collect yet another victory as they take on the Saddlers this afternoon.

Today's match got of to something of a slow start with the first real opening not arriving until the eighth minute as Vale's Dior Angus broke down the left wing, wrong-footed his marker and sought to get the ball into the box, sadly for the youngster his ball in was cleared away from danger by the Saddlers backline.

Walsall's opening opportunity of the game arrived shortly after as Mitchel Candlin, Cameron Peters and Tobias Hayles-Docherty combined to get the ball into the box, thankfully for Vale, defender Luke Dennis was alert to the danger and read the pass, ultimately allowing the ball to be cleared.

The Saddlers' pressure continued and they almost took the lead shortly after as Jordon Sangha, who is currently enjoying a loan spell with Rushall Olympic, won possession with a hard tackle, combined with Maziar Kouhyar with the Afghanistan international breaking into the box and hitting the bar with a powerful drive.

Port Vale's next opening arrived after fifteen minutes of play as Tyrone Barnett sent a long ball from the back, his pass was controlled well by Anton Forrester, who had found space on the edge of the area. The striker superbly turned his man and got his shot away but could only find the side netting as the scores remained level.

The Saddlers went close to opening the scoring shortly after we reached the midway point in the first half as Maz Kouhyar curled the ball over from a corner, the flag kick being won following a superb run from Hayles-Docherty, who did well to beat his man and get the ball into the area.

Walsall 'keeper Brandon Ganley was forced into action just after the half-hour mark as Graham Kelly's neat pass found Forrester in the final third, the forward's effort stung the stopper's hands but the youngster was able to gather at the second time of asking as Donovan Wilson looked to get to the loose ball.

The Saddlers went close to opening the scoring in first-half stoppage time as Sangha sent an effort just past the post following a pacy attacking move which saw Hayles-Docherty get the ball into the area from out wide.

0 - 0

Port Vale got the second-half underway and it was the Valiants who started the half on top, they looked to open the scoring after six minutes as Harry Middleton got the ball into the box on two occasions, the latter falling to Angus who looked to send the ball back towards goal but was hit ball a rebound as the move ended in a goal kick.

Shortly after the Saddlers cleared a Vale corner, the home side were back on the attack as Mike Calveley is found by Angus' flicked pass, the forward got an effort away buy Ganley was able to react and sent the ball for a corner.

Angus was the next to go close as he curled an effort wide of goal following some promising play between Forrester and second-half substitute Harry Benns, who had replaced Billy Reeves at the break.

Port Vale would go into the lead just after the hour mark as Tyrone Barnett smashed home from close range. The goal coming after Forrester met a corner with a powerful header which forced Ganley into action, the stoppers' effort falling to Barnett, who made no mistake.

The Saddlers' next opening came ten minutes after Vale's goal as Jordon Sangha saw an effort deflect wide of goal following a nicely worked corner. Not much in the way of luck for the Saddlers as the home side remained in the lead.

Brandon Ganley was called into action shortly after as Benns cross-shot was gathered following some nice movement from the sub, who had gathered the ball on the left and broke for the byline.

Walsall levelled the scores with less than ten minutes of the game remaining as Tobias Hayles-Docherty got on the end of Maz Kouhyar's cross. He controlled the ball before firing it powerful past Rob Lainton in the Vale goal.

The Valiants almost grabbed the win late on as the 'keeper's long ball bounced over the Saddlers' backline and found Forrester in space,the forward tried to find the back of the net, but his effort flew over the bar as the game ended all-square.

1 - 1
Barnett (62')
Hayles-Docherty (81')

Don't forget, you can join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.