Bescot Banter
Home    Senior Cup Heartache For Walsall as Sutton Coldfield Town Advance    Share This Story


Senior Cup Heartache For Walsall as Sutton Coldfield Town Advance

Senior Cup Heartache For Walsall as Sutton Coldfield Town Advance

Here is our Match Report from Tuesday evening's Walsall Senior Cup - Quarter Final clash between Walsall and Sutton Coldfield Town.
Walsall's Development side were back in action on Tuesday evening as they travelled to Coles Lane to take on Sutton Coldfield Town in the Quarter Final of this season's Walsall Senior Cup.

Dawe; Devlin, Fisher, Mason, Vann, Kendrick, Shorrock, Hayles-Docherty, Cairns, Peters, Candlin

Substitutes; Rogerson, Friel, Willis, Massamba, Leivesley

The Saddlers, who defeated Brocton in the Second Round, won last season's competition, beating Stafford Rangers in the Final, and headed into this evening's match keen to secure a spot in the Semi Final once again.

Sutton Coldfield defeated Heath Hayes to secure their spot against the Saddlers and were looking to reach the next stage as they seek to win the trophy for the first time in over thirty-five years.

The match started fairly slowly, with both sides looking to get the ball down and play, but burst into life around ten minutes before the half-time break as Royals midfielder Reece Webb won the ball well, advanced into the area and slotted an effort past young Saddlers stopper Ethan Dawe.

The Saddlers, who had gone close via Will Shorrock mid-way through the half, didn't have to wait too long to find their equaliser as young central defender Dan Vann found the far corner of the goal with a sweet header from a corner kick.

Ward's Walsall had a couple of chances to take the lead early in the second-half as Cameron Peters was denied by a superb save from Nicky Draper, the 'keeper doing well to get to Peters' curling shot. The stopper had to remain on his toes as he went onto deny Joe Cairns who looked to break the deadlock with a follow up effort.

Winger Tobias Hayles-Docherty also went close to scoring shortly after Draper's double save as he sent an effort inches past the post, the youngster doing well to beat his marker to get the ball into a dangerous position.

Cameron Peters was the next Saddler to have an effort on goal as he was on hand to receive the ball from Mitchel Candlin, who had done well to turn his man and find Peters in space. Sadly a goal didn't arrive as Peters' effort went just wide.

The Saddlers had to be alert at the back as the Royals were also in search of the lead. Niall Flint came close shortly after the hour mark as he beat the offside trap and looked to get one-on-one with the 'keeper only for Dan Vann to produce a superb slide-tackle to take the ball away for a flag kick.

Mitchel Candlin forced a save out of the 'keeper on seventy-two minutes as he sent in a low shot following a good passing move involving fellow attackers Joe Cairns and Cameron Peters.

The hosts went close to stealing a place in the next round late on as central defender James Beresford forced Dawe into a reflex save as he headed the ball towards goal from a corner kick.

There were no further goals in open play as the full-time whistle arrived, sending the game straight to penalties.

Walsall would go no further in the competition as penalties from Danny O'Callaghan, Gaz Singh, Chekaine Steele and Tyler Lyttle were enough to see Sutton through by four spot kick's to two.

Walsall Senior Cup | FT
Webb (35')
Vann (37')
Referee - Stephen Martin
Attendance - N/A

Don't forget, you can join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

  Quick Links: NewsMatch ReportsPaper TalkLoan Watch  
 Twitter     Facebook     Instagram
Copyright © Bescot Banter.
ShopSubscribeContactPrivacyCookiesDisclaimerTerms of Use