Wednesday, 15 November 2017

 🏠   🏷️ 

Walsall Through to Round Three With Shoot-Out Victory Over Hanley Town

10:05 pm Wednesday, 15 November 2017
The Saddlers' development side returned to action on Wednesday evening as they took on Hanley Town in the Second Round of this season's Staffordshire Senior Cup.
John Ward's Walsall Development side were back in action on Wednesday evening as they travelled to Potteries Park and took on Hanley Town in Round Two of this season's Staffordshire Senior Cup. You can read our Match Report below.

Hanley Town XI | Cawley; Faulkner, Bristow, Thorpe, Blowers, Mellor, Conlon, Stanyer, Nicholls, Cope, Thompson
Walsall XI | Ganley; Tonks, Fisher, Mason, Vann, K.Roberts, Ruddock, Shorrock, Peters, Candlin, Hayles-Docherty

Substitutes | Dawe; Little, Leak, Massamba, O'Sullivan

The opening effort of the game was provided by Walsall winger Tobias Hayles-Docherty. The 18-year-old took advantage of a poor clearance to cut inside and unleash a shot on goal,sadly his effort wasn't enough to test 'keeper Tom Cawley as the ball rose over the bar.

Hanley's first chance arrived after seven minutes of play as Neville Thompson played a sweet through ball which allowed Daniel Cope to break through on goal. He looked to lob the ball over the onrushing Brandon Ganley but was thwarted by some alert defending.

The home side continued to provide plenty of threat to the young Saddlers XI, often forcing the defence back as they prodded and probed in search of an opener. Walsall's backline were committed to the cause, frequently putting their bodies on the line to block shots.

Shortly after Saddlers striker Cameron Peters was caught offside, the home side saw an effort blocked as Macauley Faulkner's cross found Mick Conlon in space, his effort blocked as the Saddlers' defence stood firm.

Saddlers defender Stefan Mason, who had been played in by Mitchel Candlin, saw an effort of his own blocked shortly after Conlon's shot. The resulting corner came to nothing as the scores remained level.

Walsall went close to breaking the deadlock after thirty-five minutes as Mitchel Candlin received the ball on the left, cut inside and sent a low effort towards goal. Sadly for the Saddlers Candlin's shot drifted just past the post without really threatening the 'keeper.

Hanley had a shot of their own drift past the post shortly before the break. Dan Cope got on the end of a neat cross to send an overhead kick towards goal, the forward doing well to get the effort away as there were plenty of defenders in attendance.

Saddlers striker Mitchel Candlin was the next to seek an opener. This time he saw an effort deflect wide of goal following Kory Roberts' through ball. The game reached the break without a goal, but no shortage of attacking play.

Hanley Town 0 Walsall 0

Cameron Peters had the first effort of the second-half. The striker got n the end of a high through ball but couldn't test the 'keeper as his effort was blocked. The Saddlers won a corner shortly after but couldn't make a breakthrough as the ball was cleared.

The home side had their opening effort soon after and also had claims for a penalty waved away as a Saddlers defender blocked the ball following a neat cross from out wide.

Mitchel Candlin continued in his search for an opener and forced the 'keeper into a save with a shot from outside of the box. Plenty of endeavour from both sides in the early stages of the second forty-five.

Kory Roberts did well to prevent Conlan from opening the scoring nine minutes into the half as he blocked the forward's low, powerful effort. Conlon doing well to jump on a poor initial clearance to create the opening.

Tyreece Ruddock was almost the hero of the hour soon after as the Saddlers broke up the other end of the field and saw an effort, which appeared to hit a divot, loop over the bar. Cameron Peters with the square ball to find Ruddock in space.

Hanley's Faulkner and Conlon almost combined to create the games's opening goal with an hour on the clock. Faulkner breaking down the wing to send in a cross, his ball a little too much for Conlon who couldn't get an effort away.

Martin Stanyer was the next to have an effort on goal as his shot drifted wide of the post following some promising attacking play. The hosts switching the ball across the field to create some space.

The home side were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position but failed to capitalise as second-half substitute Theo Stair struck the wall with his effort. The Saddlers then cleared the danger, the scores remaining all-square.

Walsall almost grabbed a goal late in the game as both Debert Massamba and Cameron Peters were thwarted by some solid defending. The match finishing all-square in normal time, penalties to come.

Hanley Town 0 Walsall 0

Walsall went on to win the penalty shoot-out by eight goals-to-seven as Brandon Ganley saved from Hanley stopper Tom Cawley to take his side through to the Third Round of the competition.

Don't forget, you can also join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.