Tuesday, 28 March 2017

WALSALL SENIOR CUP | Wolverhampton Casuals 3 Walsall 4

WALSALL SENIOR CUP | Wolverhampton Casuals 3 Walsall 4

On Tuesday evening John Ward and his Walsall Development side travelled the short distance to the Brinsford Lane Stadium where they took on Wolverhampton Casuals in the Semi-Final of this season's Walsall Senior Cup.
On Tuesday evening John Ward and his Walsall Development side travelled the short distance to the Brinsford Lane Stadium where they took on Wolverhampton Casuals in the Semi-Final of this season's Walsall Senior Cup.

Ganley; Kendrick, Cockerill-Mollett, Vann, K.Roberts; Sangha, Kinsella, Kouhyar, Butterfield, Candlin, Shorrock

SUBS | Caswell; Fisher, Hayles-Docherty, Cela, Maddocks

Walsall, who had beaten Tividale and Romulus on their way to the Semi-Final, started the game well and had the first sight on goal within six minutes of play as Jordon Sangha, who has recently extended his stay at the club, found space outside the area and sent a deflected effort just over the bar.

The Saddlers continued to have the better of the opening exchanges as both Maziar Kouhyar and Kory Roberts had efforts blocked as the Cassies failed to deal with Will Shorrocks' corner kick.

The first clear-cut chance of the game came after around fifteen minutes as Mitchel Candlin, who was found in plenty of space by a Kouhyar cross, failed to make the most of the time afforded to him as a side-footed effort was gathered by the 'keeper. Candlin was almost completely unmarked as the home defence had opted to follow the ball.

Ward's side continued to be the better of the two, but chances became something of a premium as the first-half went on. Walsall looking to move the ball around and look for space, as the Casuals were happy to seek the ball on the counter.

Just a minute after Kevin Nickle had lifted an effort over the bar, the home side took the lead as Shaquille Lee headed the ball home from a right-wing cross. Ganley beaten as the ball bounced before crossing the line.

The Saddlers got back on level terms just before the break as Liam Kinsella, who was an unused substitute during a recent Republic of Ireland Under 21s international friendly, send a powerful effort past Vitol Pinheiro in the Casuals goal. The stopper unable to prevent the ball from going over the line despute getting hands to the shot.


The Casuals, who had defeated Pelsall Villa and Boldmere St. Michaels on their way to the Semi-Final, got the second-half underway, as both sides looked to book their place in the Final.

After a slow start to the half Walsall broke the deadlock as Maz Kouhyar, who had seen an effort drift wide of goal just moments earlier, forced a save put of the 'keeper, who could only parry the ball into the path of Candlin, who tapped home.

Once again the Saddlers settled into a rhythm, looking for space in front of goal, as the Casuals sought to counter.

Not long after the Saddlers had taken the lead both Shorrock and Milan Butterfield saw efforts drift high and wide of goal, as Pinheiro looked on.

Walsall thought they had extended their lead after around sixty-five minutes of play as Shorrock and Butterfield combined to set up Candlin, but his goal was disallowed as he was adjudged to have been in an offside position.

Wolverhampton levelled the scores with seventy-two minutes on the clock as Nickle took advantage over some confusion between Ganley and Kory Roberts to take the ball around the 'keeper and tap home.

Walsall would respond almost instantly as Sangha was alert to slam the ball home following Tobias Hayles-Docherty's initial effort, which had rebounded off the post.

Hayles-Docherty continued to cause trouble as he saw a powerful effort drift past the post with the 'keeper scrambling.

The Saddlers would ease the pressure as they extended with just over ten-minutes of the game remaining as Candlin prodded home following Hayles-Docherty's deep cross/shot. The second-half substitute, who had replaced Shorrock minutes earlier, having a big impact on the match.

Walsall advanced to the Final but not before the Casuals hit the back of the net once again, as an as-yet-unknown player rose highest to head the ball home from a corner, the effort hitting the bar on the way in. The stadium announcer not helping ease anyone's confusion as he admitted he had 'no clue' who had grabbed the final goal of the game.

That was the end to the scoring and subsequently the game as Walsall secure a place in the Final of the Walsall Senior Cup.

GOALS | Lee (36') Nickle (72') - (90') // Kinsella (45+2'), Candlin (54', 78'), Sangha (74')

Don't forget, you can join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.