MATCH REPORT | Walsall 1 Swindon Town 1 MATCH REPORT | Walsall 1 Swindon Town 1
Posted by: Bescot Banter

MATCH REPORT | Walsall 1 Swindon Town 1

On Tuesday evening, Walsall played host to Swindon Town in the latest Sky Bet League 1 fixture of the season. Our match report is below.
On Tuesday evening, Walsall played host to Swindon Town in the latest Sky Bet League 1 fixture of the season. Our match report is below.

Walsall got us underway as they set out to secure three points that could see them move ahead of Burton Albion, into the automatic promotion places, if results elsewhere also went in their favour.

Positive from the outset, the Saddlers were quick to attack, keeping the ball well from kick-off to work an opening. Lalkovic had the first effort on goal, with a glancing header from a Forde cross, which he headed just wide of the far post.

The tempo slowed just a little as both teams sought to settle into the game, Walsall always looking a danger though, with Demetriou and Forde both seeing efforts on goal from outside the box blocked within the opening seven minutes.

Swindon did see some early action themselves, as Doughty looked to break, his through ball to Ajose didn't quite find it's target though and the Saddlers regained control. Mantom was quick to capitalise, setting Lalkovic away. Milan's did well to create space for himself, but his shot was straight at the waiting Kean.

Eleven minutes in, Captain Adam Chambers raced into the box before seeing his cut-back blocked. The ball fell to Romaine Sawyers, who put too much elevation into his shot, and watched the ball sail over the bar. The third decent chance in little over ten minutes for the very positive looking Saddlers side.

Swindon kept possession well from the goal-kick, as they worked the ball up to the other end, where Barry's deep cross from the right found Doughty, who headed the ball straight at Etheridge who held well.

Walsall looked to create another opening, with Forde playing the ball to Sawyers, who crossed to Hiwula, but Town defender Branco got back to clear the danger.

As the frenetic pace slowed a little, Swindon began to enjoy a little more time on the ball, working their way into some good positions. Twenty two minutes in, they saw their first real chance of the match, as Jon Obika set up Nicky Ajose whose shot sailed just wide of the post.

Swindon won their first corner of the game with half an hour played, as Obika outmuscled the Saddlers defence. The flag-kick found Rossi-Branco on the edge of the box, but his shot was blocked, gifting the visitors a second corner, which was taken short and worked to Kasim in the box. His shot was well blocked by the Saddlers defence and the danger was cleared for a moment. It wasn't long before Swindon were on the attack again though, as Obika fired an low effort in from twenty yards. His shot was comfortably saved by Etheridge.

With little over five minutes of the half remaining, Walsall won a free-kick in a dangerous position, as Lalkovic was tripped. Swindon made hard work of it, but were eventually able to clear the danger.

The Saddlers won a second free-kick in an almost identical position with five minutes of the half remaining. The ball bounced dangerously in the six yard box, but Swindon were able to clear.

Walsall ended the half, as they began, with an increased tempo and some decent attacking play. Three minutes before the break, Hiwula took the ball on the edge of the box and sent a shot in, which Turnbull did well to block.

Two minutes from time, Town enjoyed a final chance at goal, as Downing failed to deal with a cross from Doughty, which fell to Ajose, who turned the ball wide from close range.

One minute was added, but there was no further action and the teams headed off to enjoy their half-time refreshments with the game remaining scoreless.


The visitors got us back underway, both teams remaining unchanged after the break. Five minutes into the half, Walsall lost possession and Obika broke with the ball, taking it past Pennington before cutting it back to Doughty, who side-footed it well wide of goal.

With fifty-two minutes on the clock, Walsall were forced into their first change of the evening, as Jason Demetriou appeared to have picked up a knock and was replaced by Liam Kinsella.

Just before the hour mark, Swindon opened the scoring. A huge deflection from an Obika shot, turning the ball into the path of Michael Doughty who coolly tucked the ball under the on-rushing Etheridge.

Anthony Forde found himself added to the referee's book for a foul, on the hour mark. Three minutes later he was joined by Bradley Barry who was booked for time wasting as he took a throw in.

A thunderous right-footed shot from Anthony Forde almost levelled the scores with sixty-seven minutes on the clock, the ball flying in from outside the box, but smashing into the post. Unlucky for the Saddlers, but a fabulous effort.

That would be Forde's last action of the night, he and Milan Lalkovic made way for Kieron Morris and Tom Bradshaw, as the Saddlers rolled the dice with twenty-two minutes to play.

It took just three minutes for the recently introduced Morris to make an impact, as he found space just outside the box and calmly slotted the ball, with little pace on it, into the bottom corner to level the scores.

The pace slowed significantly following the Saddlers equaliser. The visitors seemingly content just to waste time at every opportunity. Frustrating for the home side, but they kept their heads well as they patiently sought to create further chances.

Ten minutes from time, Raphael Rossi-Branco went down and played was stopped whilst he received treatment to his leg. He was was soon back on his feet though and the match re-started.

The visitors upped the tempo a little in the final minutes of the half, as they probed forward in hunt of a late winner. Four minutes from time Doughty saw an effort on goal blocked. Two minutes later, Obika raced in to meet a high pass from Kasim, his shot was blocked brilliantly to keep the Saddlers level.

As we entered four minutes of added time, a Swindon counter attack put Ajose through on goal, but he fired his shot straight at Neil Etheridge who had no problems gathering.

With less than a minute to play, Morris had the last chance of the match, but say his effort from the edge of the box blocked and the scores remained level at one-a-piece as the referee blew the final whistle.

A disappointing end to the evening for the Saddlers, but one which Burton Albion were not able to capitalise on, as they remain just three points clear of Walsall who still have a game in hand.

GOALS | Morris (71') - Doughty (59')
ATTENDANCE | 5,095 (297 Swindon Town)
REFEREE | Mr. Nick Kinseley | Essex
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post