MATCH REPORT | Doncaster Rovers 1 Walsall 2
Bescot Banter logo
MATCH REPORT | Doncaster Rovers 1 Walsall 2
MATCH REPORT | Doncaster Rovers 1 Walsall 2

MATCH REPORT | Doncaster Rovers 1 Walsall 2

On Tuesday evening, Walsall Football Club travelled to the Keepmoat Stadium as they took on Doncaster Rovers in the latest Sky Bet League 1 fixture of the season. You can read our brief match report below.
On Tuesday evening, Walsall Football Club travelled to the Keepmoat Stadium as they took on Doncaster Rovers in the latest Sky Bet League 1 fixture of the season. You can read our brief match report below.

It was Sean O'Driscoll's Walsall that got the game underway, and after a brief spell on the ball, gave away a free kick in Rovers' half, an early taste of the ball for both sides.

Rovers had an early shout for a penalty as they thought that Paul Downing had handled inside the area following a Williams pass, would've been very harsh if given.

Andy Taylor did well to break down the wing and got a shot away, the hosts were never really under threat as the shot was blocked and Rovers broke down the pitch with an attack of their own. This also came to nothing as they also saw a shot blocked.

Doncaster were awarded a free kick just ahead of the ten minute mark, a sloppy tackle from Anthony Forde, Coppinger took the effort but the chance came to nothing as Evina sent a volley wide of goal following a partial clearance.

Rovers also found space to send a cross into the area as Middleton ghosted past several Saddlers to send the ball in. MacGillivray was alert and easily gathered the ball.

Walsall also saw a shot towards goal as, following a nice spell of possession, an advanced Jason Demetriou sent a ball into Sam Mantom, who could only fire high and wide of goal.

Mantom went on to have another effort on goal just moments later as he was found by Tom Bradshaw's cut-back, his shot was on target, but easily saved.

At the other end of the pitch MacGillivray had to be alert as a poor pass from James O'Connor allowed WIlliams to break free, the Saddlers stopper doing well to clear the danger.

Rovers again went on to be a threat in the area as a Williams cross-shot was cleared by MacGillivray, Keegan, who was being marshaled by Chambers, gathered the ball under pressure, and saw an effort blocked.

A few minutes after Walsall saw an attacking move broken down, the hosts were almost handed an opening as a poor pass from Andy Taylor had to be cleared by Adam Chambers, who was alert to tackle and clear.

Doncaster went on to win a corner kick, Coppinger took it and found Taylor-Sinclair, who slammed the ball against the bar and out for a goal kick, a lucky escape for the Saddlers.

Rovers continued to enjoy a good level of pressure as Walsall looked nervy at the back, Taylor seemed short of confidence, and allowed people to force him out of play.

MacGillivray did well to get down to a Coppinger effort following more sloppy Saddlers play, the weekend's result seemingly taking a bit of edge out of the Saddlers.

With under fifteen minutes of the half remaining, Rovers won another corner kick, this came to nothing as Walsall cleared, their counter came to nothing as Doncaster regrouped.

Walsall were soon awarded a free kick following a foul outside the area. Milan Lalkovic, who had been largely starved of the ball, stepped up to take it but failed to make much use of it as Neal gathered.

Doncaster would again break and win a corner, this was cleared, and Walsall also failed to take the chance as Forde sent in a poor cross.

Following a poor MacGillivray pass, which put Demetriou under pressure, the home side were awarded a free kick as Gooch was pulled back. Rovers again wasted their pressure and Walsall cleared the danger through Downing. McCullough regained the ball but could only fire wide.

Doncaster were soon given another chance to take a shot as a free kick was awarded on the edge of the Walsall area. This was again wasted as it was struck against the wall. The ball eventually fell for MacGillivray, who cleared.

With three minutes of the half remaining, Jason Demetriou found space and sent a shot well wide of goal, not much in the danger areas for the Saddlers with the match heading into the break.


Doncaster got the second half underway, and, following a spell of passing play, it was the home side that saw the first effort of the half, as a Gooch cross deflected off a leaping Andy Taylor and fell to Coppinger, who could only lift the ball over the bar.

Walsall would win their first corner of the game five minutes into the second half, and almost created the first goal as it was played in by Lalkovic and fell to Downing who hit the bar, the effort seemed to involve Taylor-Sinclair too. A second corner was less successful and easily smashed away up the pitch.

The Saddlers continued to have opportunities as Forde found Lalkovic with a cross, Milan went on to force a save out of goalkeeper Neal, much improved from the men in blue and white.

Walsall were much improved as the half continued, and would open the scoring just after the hour mark as Sam Mantom found space in the middle of the Rovers half and drove forward, then smashed home following something of a fortunate ricochet.

As Rovers looked to up the tempo and rush Walsall when on the ball, the Saddlers did well to force a corner and would ultimately double their lead.

A worked flag kick was played in by Romaine Sawyers, who had beaten his man, the ball fell for Taylor, who slotted home to turn his game around.

The home side made a double change following the goal as Coppinger and Chaplow were replaced by Mandeville and Stewart.

Unsurprisingly, the Saddlers were much more confident on the ball following the goals, and looked to get the ball around the pitch. A tame Bradshaw effort was easily gathered.

The Saddlers made their opening change of the game with around fifteen minutes remaining as Rico Henry replaced Milan Lalkovic.

With ten minutes of the half remaining, Liam Mandeville was afforded too much room in front of the Walsall area and slipped the ball home from the edge of the area, poor from Walsall as they pile the pressure on themselves.

Rovers made their third and final change just after the goal as Lund came on for Alcock. Fresh legs for the home side.

Mandeville soon found space again and forced a save out of MacGillivray, the Saddlers needing to settle down and get back into their chosen tempo.

Rovers were awarded a free kick around twenty-five yards from goal. Cameron Stewart took it and found Mandeville, who could only head wide of goal, he will feel he should've done better in the space he was afforded.

Doncaster took control of the action as we headed to full time, Walsall were largely unable to get the ball away from danger but forced Rovers to either shoot from distance, or pass the ball around in search of an opening, which did not arise, Walsall 2 Doncaster Rovers 1.

GOALS | Mandeville (80') -- Mantom (61') Taylor (65')
ATTENDANCE | 5,056 (309 Walsall)
REFEREE | Mr. Ben Toner | Lancashire

Don't forget, you can also join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

About Bescot Banter

Bescot Banter is an independent look at Walsall Football Club

Follow Us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram