MATCH REPORT | Burton Albion 0 Walsall 0
MATCH REPORT | Burton Albion 0 Walsall 0
MATCH REPORT | Burton Albion 0 Walsall 0

MATCH REPORT | Burton Albion 0 Walsall 0

5:08 pm Saturday, 27 February 2016  
On Saturday afternoon, Sean O'Driscoll's Walsall travelled to the Pirelli Stadium to take on league leaders Burton Albion in the latest Sky Bet League 1 fixture of the season. You can read our match report below.
On Saturday afternoon, Sean O'Driscoll's Walsall travelled to the Pirelli Stadium to take on league leaders Burton Albion in the latest Sky Bet League 1 fixture of the season. You can read our match report below.

Ahead of kick off, central defender James O'Connor, who had been suffering with a calf strain, was named among the starting eleven as the ever-impressive Matt Preston was dropped to the bench, with first-year-pro Maziar Kouhyar missing out on the matchday squad.

The Saddlers got us underway, a lot of early midfield passing with Lalkovic almost getting through, Weir able to stop him.

A scrappy start to the game, with the Saddlers looking the more settled team in the opening minutes. Something of a midfield battle.

With Eight minutes on the clock, Akins had the first shot of the match, Demetriou doing well to block the shot; the ball fell to McCrory who sent his shot well wide of goal.

Two minutes later, it was the Saddlers turn to have a shot on goal. Lalkovic crossing to Bradshaw who sent the ball goal-wards, an easy save for McLaughlin.

The match continued to be a very cagey affair. Two well matched teams, happy to keep possession in midfield.

With Twenty-Two played, Burton had the first corner of the match, as Downing does well to block a shot. Walsall able to clear, but the ball is collected by Burton who swiftly win another corner. A poor effort which is easily cleared and Walsall have a chance to break.

Walsall won a corner of their own from the break. Lalkovic and Sawyers combined well but Burton are easily able to clear the danger. Walsall winning another corner from the clearance. Again the ball is cleared and a further corner awarded, which comes to nothing.

Half an hour into the match, Etheridge is called into action as Burton have the first real chance of the match. Butcher playing the ball through to Bennett who took too long to set himself, giving Demetriou time to put in a tackle, which found Etheridge's chest before the ball was cleared.

The Saddlers swiftly followed with a chance of their own, a Bradshaw header finding Sawyers, Romaine looked to put the ball past McLaughlin who saved well with his chest.

A free-kick was awarded following a foul on Bennett, it was taken by McCrory who did well to find Mousinho who sent his shot wide.

Walsall were awarded a corner with Thirty-Seven minutes on the clock as a Sawyers shot from the edge of the area was blocked.  Forde took the flag-kick, which was headed clear by Weir.

Another Walsall corner followed quickly as Mousinho was forced into a last ditch tackle on Bradshaw. Forde sent the ball in and McLaughlin was forced to tip the ball over from a Downing volley.

Lalkovic took the resulting corner, but the ball was easily cleared.
Beavon had Burton last chance of the half, a good run forward, but his shot was tame and didn't trouble Etheridge.

Two minutes before half-time, Walsall won another corner which was taken by Lalkovic and easily cleared by Mason Bennett.

With just one additional minute awarded there was no further action and the scores remained level at the break.


The Brewers got us back underway, but it was Walsall who saw the first action of the half, a free-kick awarded for a kick on Forde, which comes to nothing.

The first chance of the second half fell to Burton, Beavon taking the ball past Downing and Demetriou before sending a shot in, but he was only able to find the side-netting.

Burton's second chance of the half followed quickly after, Butcher's angled shot well blocked by a sliding Downing.

With Sixty-Eight minutes played, Mantom sent in a shot from around 40 yards out. McLaughlin not tested, but good play from the Saddlers.

Followed two minutes later by a fabulous Demetriou shot from close range. McLaughlin doing well to get down low and block the shot with his knees.

The Saddlers kept up the pressure, Bradshaw turning a Forde cut-back goal-wards, but his shot was blocked.

With Seventy-Seven minutes up, both managers opted to make their first substitutions. Walsall replacing a busy Forde with Kieron Morris, whilst Burton brought on Choudhury in place of Naylor.

Paul Downing received the first booking of the match with Eighty minutes played, for a foul on Beavon.

Burton were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position, it was taken by McCrory and met in the air by Atkins, whose header was straight into the waiting 'keepers arms.

Stuart Beavon fell in the area, but the referee waived away appeals for a penalty.
Late on, Sawyers and Demetrious combined well to set up a wonderful chance for Morris, who was only able the ball wide of goal. Lovely build up play from the Saddlers.

With Three additional minutes to play, it seemed the hosts had decided to play for the draw, with a bit of time wasting, first replacing Bennett with Reilly, before introducing Harness in place of Beavon.

The final action of the game came by way of a Burton corner, which was taken by the freshly introduced Harness, but came to nothing. The scores remained level as full-time was called.

REFEREE | Mr. James Adcock | Nottinghamshire

Don't forget, you can also join us across social media, we're @BescotBanter on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

About Bescot Banter

Bescot Banter is an independent look at Walsall Football Club

Follow Us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram