EMIRATES FA CUP | REPORT | Walsall 2 Fleetwood Town 0 EMIRATES FA CUP | REPORT | Walsall 2 Fleetwood Town 0
By: Bescot Banter •

EMIRATES FA CUP | REPORT | Walsall 2 Fleetwood Town 0

Earlier today, Walsall Football Club played host to Fleetwood Town in the First Round of this season's Emirates FA Cup competition. You can read our match report below.
Earlier today, Walsall Football Club played host to Fleetwood Town in the First Round of this season's Emirates FA Cup competition. You can read our match report below.

The first real chance of the game came to the opposition, as a Jamie Proctor volley forced Neil Etheridge into action. A dangerous David Ball cross creating the chance for the forward.

Walsall's first shot on goal came via Milan Lalkovic, 'keeper Maxwell was equal to the effort and grasped the ball well.

Walsall looked to get their brisk passing game going in the opening stages, a Romaine Sawyers pass was a little too forceful for Lalkovic as the opposition cleared.

The Saddlers enjoyed a good spell of possession, but did give away a free kick within a dangerous area. Jimmy Ryan took the effort, but the Saddlers stood firm and cleared the ball for a corner, which came to nothing.

As the clock reached the fourteen minute mark, both sides were alert at the back, as Milan Lalkovic was crowded out inside the Fleetwood area, and David Ball was given the same treatment in the Walsall area, following a swift counter.

Milan Lalkovic went on to have a shot blocked as Nathan Pond was brave in front of the ball to prevent the shot on goal, still no real clear-cut chances for either side as we neared the mid-way point in the half.

The visitors saw another corner cleared following a dangerous Amari'i Bell run, the former Birmingham City man being allowed to run around sixty yards down field.

It was Walsall that opened the scoring, as Manchester City midfielder George Evans bagged his third goal in four games for the club. A Romaine Sawyers pass found Evans in space, he then slammed the ball into the bottom corner from distance, to take his side into the lead.

Fleetwood looked to get back on level terms soon after as Conor McLaughlin had an effort easily saved, Etheridge not under much pressure with the shot from range. Amari'i Bell also saw a cross go out of play as Jason Demetriou forced him to rush.

As the half went on chances became few and far between. Fleetwood's Tyler Forbes saw an effort saved, Etheridge again under no real pressure.

The opening booking of the game came Fleetwood's way as Joe Davis was cautioned for a poor tackle on Tom Bradshaw, who had just done well to take the ball from the midfielders' feet. The free kick came to nothing as Bradshaw could only head over the bar.

Tom Bradshaw went close to goal again as a dangerous Jason Demetriou cross found him in space, his header going wide of goal. Romaine Sawyers doing well to find Demetriou with the initial pass.

Walsall won a corner with seven minutes of the half remaining, some good work from Bradshaw forcing the goalkeeper into action. The corner was easily cleared, but the visitors were prevented from taking advantage as their counter was quelled.

Romaine Sawyers also looked to be in on goal, but was stopped by a couple of good blocks, as the visitors looked to push the Saddlers back up the field late on in the half.


Ahead of the second half both sides made changes, Walsall replaced Neil Etheridge and Milan Lakovic with Craig MacGillivray and Anthony Forde, while Jamie Proctor was replaced by Jamille Matt for the visitors.

As substitute Jamille Matt was flagged for offside, the Saddlers launched an attack of their own, Kieron Morris, who was found by a combination of Forde and Sawyers, forcing the 'keeper into an early save.

The visitors continued to look for space in the Saddlers defence, and won a corner after eight minutes of the half, this would come to nothing as the attack was crowded out for a goal kick, an attempted overhead kick in the melee too.

Anthony Forde saw a shot go wide of goal as 'keeper Maxwell was untested by the former Wolves midfielder's effort.

As the game reached the hour mark, Jason Demetriou, who bagged Walsall's winner last weekend, saw an effort go wide of goal, good movement from the former Leyton Orient defender.

The Saddlers continued to work well in midfield, Romaine Sawyers producing a fine turn to send two markers in the wrong direction. Later Kieron Morris sent an effort over the bar, as he sought to grab another goal.

Chances were at a premium as the half continued, Rico Henry fired over the bar, then Walsall later saw a corner cleared.

As the visitors saw a free kick come to nothing, they made their second change of the game with Eggert Jonsson being replaced by Nick Haughton.

As both sides saw efforts go wide of goal, Walsall made their third and final change of the match with top scorer Tom Bradshaw being replaced by Jordan Cook. Cookie given fifteen minutes to try and make the difference.

Walsall and Fleetwood continued to trade efforts with Jamille Matt firing straight at MacGillivray,and Walsall making little use of a corner kick.

Fleetwood then made their third and final change as David Ball left the field, with Declan McManus getting his opportunity.

As McManus looked to have fouled Paul Downing the recently arrived sub broke towards goal but could only fire wide of MacGillivray's goal.

With just over five minutes of normal time remaining Walsall began to look a little loose at the back as Jamille Matt was allowed to turn and fire just wide of goal. Dean Smith went on to urge his players up the field.

Fleetwood won a corner with around three minutes of play remaining, the ball was played in and cleared off the line by Evans, as Town pushed for an equaliser. The hosts were brought back for a foul on Matt Preston as the Saddlers looked to clear.

As the visitors pushed for an equaliser they won a free kick out wide. Pond rose highest to meet the cross, but could only head wide of goal, as three minutes of added time were awarded.

Walsall would go on to double their advantage mid-way through stoppage time, substitute Anthony Forde picked the ball up on the left wing, cut inside and sent a right-footed effort into the far corner of the goal.

Fleetwood were unable to get anything back as Walsall advanced to the Second Round.

GOALS | Evans (19'), Forde (90+2')
ATTENDANCE | 2,532 | (95 Fleetwood Town)
REFEREE | Mr. Ross JOYCE | Cleveland
Don't forget you can keep up to date with the latest Walsall FC news and views across social media, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram and also offer updates via Google News.
Previous Post Next Post