REPORT | Colchester United 4 Walsall 4 REPORT | Colchester United 4 Walsall 4
Posted by: Bescot Banter

REPORT | Colchester United 4 Walsall 4

Earlier today, Walsall Football Club's first-team travelled to the Weston Homes Community Stadium to take on Colchester United, in the latest Sky Bet League 1 fixture of the season. You can read our match report below.
Earlier today, Walsall Football Club's first-team travelled to the Weston Homes Community Stadium to take on Colchester United, in the latest Sky Bet League 1 fixture of the season. You can read our match report below.

Colchester started the game well, although Walsall enjoyed much of the early possession. The hosts won the opening corner of the game just before the five minute mark. The Saddlers rode their luck as George Evans did well to clear an Elokobi effort off the line, lucky for the Saddlers.

The pre-match team talks looked to be forgotten as both sides were guilty of being wasteful in the final third, and poor at the back, Anthony Forde saw an effort saved, and Marvin Sordell lifted the ball over for the hosts, as the frenetic pace continued.

The home side seemed happy to allow Walsall to play in front of them, whilst pressing when they entered the danger areas.

Walsall opened the scoring after eleven minutes of play, the ever-present Romaine Sawyers sending the ball across the goalkeeper following an Anthony Forde cross, lots of space for Rom.

Following a spell of even play, the hosts forced a save from MacGillivray as Gilbey's effort was tipped over the bar. The resulting corner came to nothing as O'Connor headed out at the front post.

The U's went close again soon after, an Owen Garvan cross going agonisingly close to the onrushing Marvin Sordell, as the Saddlers cleared the danger.

As we reached the halfway point in the first half, Walsall's Jason Demetriou sent an effort over the bar, looked to have been a cross that gathered pace.

The hosts were awarded another corner as Moncur and Sordell combined to force a Saddlers defender into action. The resulting flag kick was cleared, as was the throw in as Colchester looked to press.

The hosts again won a corner as Moncur found space behind the Saddlers' defence, James O'Connor and Paul Downing doing well to recover. The corner was partially cleared, the ball back in fell to Taylor, who cleared for a counter which broke down following a poor pass from Anthony Forde.

Walsall went on to double their lead after thirty minutes, Milan Lalkovic finding space to send a deflected effort past the goalkeeper, nice work from the winger.

The visitors looked to react immediately as Ambrose found space and lashed the ball home, luckily for the Saddlers his effort was ruled offside.

Anthony Forde forced another save for the Saddlers, U's 'keeper Jones at full stretch. The Saddlers corner was partially cleared, but the hosts eventually won a free kick for a soft Sawyers foul.

Some solid defending from James O'Connor prevented the hosts from creating space on the edge of the area, James showing just how much he means to the Saddlers' backline.

With around three minutes of the half remaining, former Wolves defender George Elokobi saw yellow as he felled Tom Bradshaw on the halfway line, taking one for the team as they sought to prevent another goal.

The hosts won another corner as Harriott saw an effort deflect wide, again the hosts wasted the corner.

Sordell sent an effort over the bar following a break in midfield, nice move but a waste of their time on the ball.

The hosts wasted yet another flag kick as we reached the break.


Neither manager made a change at the break as Sebastian Stockbridge signalled for the start of the second half.

The hosts grabbed the first goal of the second half, George Moncur sending the ball into the top corner following a nicely worked move, involving several players including Ambrose, nice work from the hosts, a disappointing second-half start for the Saddlers.

Colchester got themselves on level terms just a few moments later, another fine display of football by the hosts ending in a strike from Sordell. Ambrose finding too much room following a good initial ball from Garvan, as Walsall let their lead slip.

The game continued at a frenetic pace as the Saddlers re-took the lead. Manchester City midfielder George Evans bagging his second goal in two games. A Demetriou effort was blocked, Adam Chambers recovered the ball, fed Evans, who did the rest.

The hosts would get themselves back on level-terms just a few minutes later, Owen Garvan unleashing an effort into the top corner following a partially cleared attack.

Walsall went on to make a double change as Anthony Forde and Milan Lalkovic were replaced by Jordan Cook and Kieron Morris, fresh legs and hopefully a change of fortunes for the Saddlers.

As Frankie Kent was booked for the visitors Walsall won a free kick. George Evans elected to take it and lifted the ball over the bar, a wasted opportunity, although the man in form can't be blamed for fancying himself to score.

United looked to the lead as Harriott and Moncur combined for the latter to force the ball over the bar, too much space outside the area for O'Connor's liking as he shouts at his teammates.

With under fifteen minutes of the half remaining Walsall's Jason Demetriou forced a save from U's goalkeeper Jamie Jones, his low drive easily grasped.

Tom Bradshaw was almost found in on goal as Jordan Cook's cross was a little to hard for the attacker, hopefully a signal of intent from the Saddlers.

With around ten minutes of the game remaining the hosts went into the lead, Darren Ambrose tapping home following a break down the Saddlers' right wing.

Following an Andy Taylor cross/shot which went across goal, the hosts went on to make their opening change of the half as Sembie-Ferris replaced Harriott.

Walsall worked hard to earn a corner with around five minutes remaining, Adam Chambers was inches away from the ball with a diving header.

The Saddlers replaced George Evans with Reece Flanagan, and the hosts brought Joe Edwards on for George Moncur.

With a few minutes remaining the Saddlers looked to push high up the field as the hosts hoped to defend and possibly look for the counter.

Walsall won a corner as we entered six minutes of added time. The hosts got lucky as a defender's deflection spun the ball past the post. The second corner was worked in and partially cleared before Morris found O'Connor in space, the defender did well to slot home and level the scores.

Kieron Morris looked to have sent the Saddlers into the lead as he hit the inside of the post with moments remaining.

The Saddlers continued to pressure the hosts but couldn't make a breakthrough as the game ended all square.


Moncur (49') Sordell (52'), Garvan (60') Ambrose (80') -- Sawyers (11'), Lalkovic (30'), Evans (57'), O'Connor (90+1')
ATTENDANCE | 3,630 | (287 Walsall)
You can keep up to date with all the latest Walsall FC news across our social media channels, we're on 𝕏, Facebook, Threads, and Instagram. We also offer updates via Google News.
If you appreciate our coverage, please consider buying us a coffee via Ko-fi. You can also sign up to make regular contributions via Patreon.
Previous Post Next Post